Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

rap 700 runnin rich?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 700 idle?

ok i just got the new raptor 700 and for some reason it wouldnt idle and now it wont start at all, i have tightened up the slack in the throttle cable, charged batttery, tried jumping it, changed sparkplug, does anyone know what else i might be able to do to get it to start and idle? im taking it for the first service soon, also what exactly do they do in the first service to these thing? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP also its runnung REALLY REALLY RICH is there anyway i can fix this?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default raptor 700 idle?

ok now its shootin out black smoke when on the gas n white smoke when "idling" but still wont idle completely anyone know what this all means im in Delaware

Old 04-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Range Rover
Default rap 700 runnin rich?

Have you put any performance parts on it?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

nope

Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure your air filter is clean, if you have had your bike on its side or upside down for any period of time you could have excessive oil on it, if that,s not the case clean it anyway just for elimination purposes. With the spark plug removed and hand off the throttle crank the engine over several times, to rid it of any excessive fuel in the combustion chamber. Reinstall a fresh dry plug and try starting it with your hand off the throttle (5 sec max crank time) if it doesnt start right off try depressing the throttle very slightly, no more than 1/8" in.
When mine where new I flooded them both after the first ride, and they would"nt restart. There is a idel adustment screw by the intake that you can adjust to set your idel faster. A certain amount of slack in your throttle cable is a good thing, so make sure you have at least a 1/16" of slack. I don't know how cold it is in Delaware, but remember the 700 has a auto fuel enrichment system that acts like a carberurator choke when the engine is cold,so until you have some hours on it, you should wait to ride until its completely warmed up.
Mine seemed very cold blooded when it was new, and would flood out easy, the more hours I put on it the better it seemed to start. Hope This Helped!

Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

nah its like 70 here but dude thanks ill try this asap iight TAHNKS AGAIN ............ok i tried it and its still blowin black smoke and running 2 rich could this be because of the 93 octane or whatever might i have to go to a lower octane to get a faster burn?

Old 04-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my machine two weeks ago, it does the same thing. Very poor starting and running the cooler the weather. The dealer said Yamaha is working on the problem and will come up with a fix. But when is the $ 1,000,000 question. Dealer did not tell me this until after I purchased the quad. He give me a few extra spark plugs out of the kindness of his heart.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Pull
Just got my machine two weeks ago, it does the same thing. Very poor starting and running the cooler the weather. The dealer said Yamaha is working on the problem and will come up with a fix. But when is the $ 1,000,000 question. Dealer did not tell me this until after I purchased the quad. He give me a few extra spark plugs out of the kindness of his heart.
Granted you got the quad two weeks ago if the fuel pump has part # 153-13907-02-00 then it has a vapor lock problem, and could be cause to trouble starting in the cold, I think the bikes with this problem were some of the first off the assembly line.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your response! Where do I find the fuel pump part number in the pump. Do I need to take the pump out of the tank?? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stock Raptor really runs rich. Part of problem with exhaust pipes getting so hot is because not all the fuel is burning in the cylinder but is burning in the exhaust pipe.

Quick Reply: rap 700 runnin rich?