Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Steering Alignment Kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Alignment Kodiak 450

Hey fellas, bought '05 kodiak a year ago. Its a black special edition, part of what attracted me to it lol. Not long after buying it, I had to take it back to the shop to replace seals around the front and rear differentials. Honest mistake, eh just dried or unseald from the factory, warranty so no problem. Well, 13 payments and 602 miles later the front tires are half worn out with very very little pavement seen. I have noticed the machine doesnt track completely straight for a while now. When sitting still on the pavement i notice the left front tire is canted outwards a little bit more than the right. I think this is the cause of my premature tire wear and not tracking straight. Has any of yall experienced the same problem with your Kodiaks'? If so just how hard would it be to adjust the tie-rod ends ya suppose lol? Previous atvs were '98 Sportsman 500 and a 2000 Rancher 4x4, Both excellent and this simple front end alignment problem is one of aggravation, especially when i realized i could've had a Brute Force 650 for very similiar price as the Special edition after trade in of the Honda. Hope someone can help me thanks a bunch -Joe

Old 05-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Did you get the recal done on your tierods...that fixed mine although the tires had already worn funny....sucks...but I would not trade mine for a brute

Old 05-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

My stock tires were wearing just like yours. I got the recall work done about the same time as I installed my Dirtdevils and notice how much better it steered after they replace the tie rods. They set the toe at the same time and must have got it right cause these tires are wearing perfect. I'd make sure you get the recall work done first, that way they can do it for you.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Range Rover

Yea i had the recall done a couple of weeks ago. Like you said my stock tires had also already worn unevenly ugh. But yes the recall is completed now and i just bought a set of 26x10x12 Swamp Lites and had them put on the kodiak. I believe the recall fixed it also because it seems to track straight now, albeit the kodiak needs more power. I thought that with the stock tires on the machine. Decent punch off the bottom end but mellows out bad. Oh well I knew i was'nt getting a hot rod in the first place. Its a very good machine but these tires definitely hamper it a bit lol. Just a quick thought, Maybe yamaha should ditch the 450's all together and produce a Kodiak 500, it only makes sense to me, they do not have a 500 when nearly everyone else does. 421cc vs maybe 499cc. Be a ample increase. -Joe

Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

Kernel, tell you what I did. After I got my 26" tires I noticed some power lose so I put on a uni air filter and bought one of those billett exhaust end cap which lets out 2.5 times as much air and richend up the fuel scew and that seemed to replace what I lost. It sure sounds better anyway.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]