Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 Wheel Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 Wheel Spacers?

Originally posted by: Roush412
I was just considering them because when I push the quad hard into corners it wants to tip, I wanted to correct this.
If you think about, you are usually powered up in corner, so the weight is shifted to the back. The straight axle in the back provides the tipping resistance.

There is little tipping resistance in the front suspension. If you are strong enough, lift up the back of your quad and roll it left to right. There is little resistance. The front wheels just tilt side to side with the frame. Making it wider in the front does little compared to making it wider in rear. You will get more wheel travel and a softer ride. That's about it.

Get the rear spacers or axle first before you mess with the front and see how you like it.

If you really want to corner flat, get a anti-roll bar for the front.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, try widening the back with spacers or an axle first. I got my durablue axle before my front spacers and it made a HUGE difference. The difference after putting on the front spacers was minimal. I still like them, and they helped a little but the difference wasn't as noticeable as when I put on the rear axle.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks again fellas. I should have gotten a wider axle when I bent the stocker, but instead I went with the dura blue stock length. I'm probably going to spring for the rears and see how it improves like you guys said.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor

If you drive mostly on pavement, it won't be so bad.

I found with my spacers on my raptor 660 it was the opposite. I didnt notice any bump steer or anything negative unless i was driving on pavement.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Roush412
Thanks again fellas. I should have gotten a wider axle when I bent the stocker, but instead I went with the dura blue stock length. I'm probably going to spring for the rears and see how it improves like you guys said.
the best money spent for the front end,,,,is at least some real shocks,,,,and eventually some new a-arms

spacers on the front will only make the geometry all catywompuss

the bump-steer will be exagerated, the shocks will be spongy,,,and everthing will wear quicker,,,,including you

not to mention,,,,,it can be dangerous on the wrists in the tight trails

Old 05-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: BURKEDADDY
Originally posted by: MasterRaptor

If you drive mostly on pavement, it won't be so bad.

I found with my spacers on my raptor 660 it was the opposite. I didnt notice any bump steer or anything negative unless i was driving on pavement.
do you guys have paved atv trails? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Ok here is the lowdown. With front spacers I felt no bump steer, or any problem at all, I really like them. Now with all that said I think I have to recomend they may not be a good idea, maybe!

I have about 150 miles of hard riding with them on, and yesterday the tierod end bent and so did the tie rod itself. I dont remember hitting anything or anyreason why it should do that. Suddenly my bars were a little crooked and after stopping and looking I found the bent end which broke before I got back to the truck, so the truck had to come to me. Anyway after further inspection I found that the other side is starting to bend the tie rod end as well.

My conclusions are, either they were getting weak from the constant abuse of 2 years worth of desert racing and practice riding. Or the wheel spacers are putting extra leverage against the tie rods causing the failure. The front end is all stock now since I bent a yfz shock last year and havent replaced it yet. So the verdict is out as to the true cause, but I think I will take the spacers off just to be safe, dont want to have a repeat of that during a race!!

Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Tie rods are bent because you have spacers on the front. I kept bending and braking them on my bike till I switched back to stock offset and +2 arms. I haven't had a problem since.

You know if there is enough force to bend tie rods, then your arms and wrists are taking impacts as well...unless you have a stabilizer.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

I just got the fast flexx bars so I didnt feel a thing!! But yeah I am taking off the spacers tomorrow and put them back on the wifes quad, she dont ride hard enough to make a differance.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

so axel or spacers?

i see the spacers on ebay for $75 but axel is $200 from Rocky Mountain ?

Quick Reply: Raptor 660 Wheel Spacers?