Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with my Raptor 350?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Raptor 350?

My buddy has a Warrior 350, we race all the time i used to beat him by just a lil after my 05 raptor 350 was broke in. But he just recently cleen his carb and took off is front fenders and now we walks away from me pretty good in 6th gear. Last night we went for a ride it was a little cool but when we got back the front part of my exhaust was so hott that it was glowing red. Is that Normal?

Other question i had is are you able to re gear a stock 05 350 raptor to get more speed out of it. If so what should i re gear it to. I know my way around a car tranny and engine pretty good is re gearing a quad any harder or easier? If i can re gear it anybody have any suggestions on what the should be? The lower i got the more top end right?

oh also the day before my exhaust got red i took my carb apart and cleaned it up to didn't adjust anything or touch anything iwasn't supposed just sprayed it down with carb cleaner. That same night my exhaust got red hott it had a really high idle a couple of times towards the end of the tank of gas? when i tried to turn down the idle it didn't do anything.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appretiated thanks guys![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2006, 06:59 AM
SG1
Trailblazer

Glowing hot exhaust is cause by a lean condition in the carb. rejet your carb. you need more fuel so try a bigger main jet and check your idle jet and make sure it's clean. Well taking the front fenders off will make the bike have less wind resistance but I wouldn't think it would make the bike go way faster or be worth doing but it depends on where you ride though and it might look kinda wierd too. If you gear it up some you will get less low end. Also it depends on your tire size too if you put bigger tires on the bike it will have alittle higher gearing but less low end.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

hey, welcome to the forums. First off, your carb is too lean, increase the main jet size 8 percent. This is my idea, get a pipe, air filter, then rejet again (it will get too lean and kill your engine) And then Just change the rear sprocket to gear it higher!! then you will have both more accel and top speed!! for pipes you can try fmf powercore 4 and powerbomb header, air filter i always go with no air filter lid, and get k&n with outerware.. after you do that, the warrior is toast!

Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You both missed the key part of his post, it was running fine before he took the carb apart and cleaned it, sounds more like something didn't get put back together right, or there is an air leak, probably in the intake or the carb to motor adapter. First, I would start it up and spray carb cleaner around the outside of the carb near the intake and air box, if the idle changes, you found a leak. The air leak would cause your lean condition,and make it run hot. Just throwing in a jet without finding the root cause will not get the full benefit from a properly running motor. That would also rob some power, that is probably why his buddy is beating him now, not because of some missing front fenders, unless his carb was so dirty it didn't run right before.
As far as gearing,the Warrior could easily pull a one tooth bigger front sprocket,for more top end, the Rap 350 should be the same, it's a lot easier to put on a front sprocket than a rear, that should still give you good acceleration, and put a few more mph on the top end.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advice i'll try and spray some carb cleaner in there and see if i just didn't tighten something down well enough, i know i had some trouble getting the carb back on but i'm pretty sure i did get it on. Thoughs front sprockets.. any suggestion which one i should get?? I've been looking at the Moose but not sure which one to get. or is there something else? thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been thinking about getting new tires and the jets and all the works. What do you think of the that kit made my k&nn that comes with jets and everything you need. I really like the HMF exhaust is the HMF any good? What do you guys think of the RAZR 2 tires. I'm thinking about them but they are very expensive. Thanks for all the help

Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Nedly

I have an 05 RAPTOR 350 with HMF and the extra power and sound is noticeable. The slipon HMF for the raptor only requires you to ajust the needle , no rejetting ( for most ). I have 6 ply RAZOR tire in the rear for under $50 a peice from rockymountainatv. Razor 2 's seem to have a little more edge grip to them.

I also replaced my carb with an Edelbrock and added a new air filter system GYTR high flow , its like a whole new machine now.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did you replace your sprocets after your HMF and new carb? I just ordered a size 15 front sprocket from moose. I was thinking that if i stepped up the front 2 spaces and put the rear down 2 spaces i could get a little more speed out of it. Any advice there?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

It should help you get to top speed quicker to go up in the rear sprocket and down in the front. I have 12,13,14 sprockets for the front and with my added HP I am going to go with the 14 in front. Again you will notice a difference with the pipe. I like more lower end torque. I think stock for stock a Raptor 350 can beat a Warrior. If both rider have the same abilities and are very close in weight. The motors are the same but the Raptor is lighter and has a different carb. But in the end the speeds are about the same. My preference is lower end torque. I like the instant power at the bottom. If your into drag racing you should have gotten a Banshee.