Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about trading my scrambler 500 for a 99 banshee. The banshee is still all stock. I was wondering if the banshee is a reliable quad. Is it known for having any problems? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-22-2000, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Wow!! from a 500 scram to a banshee...you'll discover what power is all about...not that I'm bashing the polaris belt drive, but with a gearbox, you'll feel your engine ripping the tires away!!
Anyway.
Probs : stock tires (change them for anything else)
Stock air filter. Get a K&N and you can make it proflow like (clamp on, tighten the collar and ride) for half the price of the proflow.(ask for details if you want)
Chain tightening is long.
I couldn't clean the headlights until I cut the plastic grill off.
No other reliability problems for me.

Nice stuff about it:
Add 500$ for pipes, and you'll discover a whole new machine (the stock pipes $uck...no exageration)...and you'll get a head turning music from the engine.
Seems to be tough (no A Arms bent nor axle)
Starting is real easy, even cold.
Almost a good mud machine...and it's easy to unstuck since it's quite light.
When you get a shee, you get a myth that says "Ready to eat dust??"
Most important of all, it's just a blast to ride, the engine is unique...except maybe the Quadzilla (but way older).

PS I won't trade my shee for anything in the world (not even a Craptor).

Old 11-22-2000, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Scrambler 400 with HPD trail mods, pipe porting head mod. Ect, but my Banshee is way more fun to ride. I still have the Scrambler but never ride it any more now that I have a banshee. I agree the stock pipes tires and air filter all stink. Replace and you will have a machine that’s hard to beat. The Scrambler would have something break on it every other ride. I haven’t had anything break on my Shee yet and it’s a 98. Good luck, ride on and keep the dunes and trails open.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

A Craptor!!!

LOLOLLL

Thats a good one LOL!!!!!

anytime you wanna run buddy..let me know

2001 RRRraptor!! BLUE

Old 11-23-2000, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

Steve,
You are definitely making the right decision. I too went from a Scrambler 400 to a Banshee. I've never looked back, except to see those guys behind me. I know the guys you ride with, they say once you get a Banshee you'll never go back to your "knitting club." Let me know when you want to bring over your Banshee and juice it up !!

Old 11-23-2000, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Sweeet decision, if you MAINTAIN your banshee it will be the most reliable wheeler in the world, let it go to h#ll and it will be your biggest nightmare. Banshees rule, insane fast... nothin like that 2-stroke ummmph..

Old 11-23-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Steve bought a 2001 SHee yesterday guess we both will c "WHAT's UP"..Lars13, U R too far away for me too get U 2 juice this one up..But any suggestions?I am already going with a K/N and am looking at either PRO-Circut or gold series pipes and silencers..By the way I road mine 2x today doing some break-in and noticed the right bank wasn't sending as much smoke out the exhaust as the left.Starting cold and warming up they were equal..Now, I am not hauling on it hard because I am breaking it in.Do you think I could have fouled a plug already?My friend Dave says that during the break-in that is "Very" possible for not ripping on it yet? With no warranty on them I am not going to haul it the whole way back to the shop.Any other tried and true Banshee tips????

Old 11-24-2000, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

Hey BigBore,

All I can say is those guys at Toomey really know their stuff. I e-mailed them for a recommendation and now I have an incredible woods machine. Here's the particulars:
T-5 pipes and silencers,
Toomey jet kit,(comes with needles also)
Air box vents and Uni-filter from Toomey,
Advanced timing 6 degrees,
Shaved .030,
NGK B9EV plugs,
Boyesen #645 reeds.
The above items were suggested by Toomey, there are parts that cost more, by these are what dyno tested the best.
I also run 22" Realtors, I still run stock gearing. With this combo I have ground clearance, and I'm not constantly running through the gears. (It has good torque)

All this for less than $650.

I can out run bikes with much more done to them also. (ie: cool head, FMF,35 carbs...)

Old 11-24-2000, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Steve,

Will it be "stevebanshee" or "bansheesteve" now?

Old 11-24-2000, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

I can only agree. Toomey has been the best. I have T5 pipes on mine with the "Hush" kit to bring the sound down to 87 from 99. I also got the 2 into 1 air filter and eliminated the air box all together. I can't believe the difference in power that made. You can also get the TORS removal system from them. With these few mods you should be able to get it running at top performance and keep it that way. I've never ridden a scrambler 500 but the Banshee is a white knuckle ride without parallel in my book.

Quick Reply: banshee