Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor MX

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALl i can say is that, i went to chatsworth NJ MX track. Saw a DS650, 2 other raptors and about a million 400exs. The ds650 went around the track once and didn't see him for the rest of the day, the other raptors just pulled some wheelies and stayed far from the track as well. From what i could understand from the locals. i was the only raptor that actually "rode the track". Meaning jumps and evrything. i rode till my thumb fell off. Had a great time!!!! But i am making several mods for MX.
A) New White Bros E -Series pipe
B) adjustable axle in the rear, Durablue on order
C) Wider a -arms in the front
d) 12 tooth front sprocket
oh and by the way i never got past 4th. As for the ongoing DS650 discussion. I had an ATK 406 back in 89 and that was a rotax engine made by bombardier. I never seen a bigger hunk a junk in my life!!!!!

Old 11-23-2000, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

I have seen the Raptor race against modified 400's on a tight MX course and it didn't fair too well.

But there were no stock 400's in the race. The Raptor looked like a handfull in the corners while the modified 400's cruised easily through.

I assume you felt the same based on your "wish list" of modifications.

I already have the axle(+3 to +5) on mine and it makes a world of difference on the handling. The A-Arms are on order. I originally ordered LSR but they offer only +3 with no forward. I felt like the Raptor would need the extra inch forward to help in cornering so I ordered a different make (TB Designs). I ordered no-preload shocks to lower the bike to stop the roll.

I see you have found the gearing to be rather tall. I also did. I bought a 12t front but found it reved out too quickly(I didn't try it on a MX track though) so I put the stock back on and changed the rear to a 41t but still have not made my mind up about it.

The Raptor has alot of power hopefully it can be harnessed into handling.

01 Raptor
Mods Mentioned
Renthal bar

Old 11-23-2000, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

Dont say the ds wouldnt have faired well. Put somone other then some Little pansey on the thing and lets see how the ds does against the raptor!

Old 11-23-2000, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i have been looking at the timmyboy designs a-arms..sweet!! they are 1.5 inches forward. www.timmyboysdesigns.com Yeah its not the best on a tight course..but hey..i stil love it!!
Happy Turkey day!!!!

Old 11-23-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

KyRaptor,

Now I'm sure of it! I met you at Western KY Supercross a couple of weeks ago. You were showing me your mods and I showed you my new front bumper and heel guards.

You should have stuck around. I got to drag race a couple of Banshees and I kicked butt. It was a big shock to me.

Did you go to the track this weekend? I'd have like to have saw a Raptor really racing agaist the 400exs.

I know you weren't wanting to push it too much while you were out there, but after my drag race, I'm sure that there is no one there at WKSX that has any more speed than your Raptor if it runs like mine. I say this because I raced a stock Banshee and then the Banshee that is raced by one of the only womer riders there. She isn't the fastest, but everyone agrees that her bike is the quickest one around. She had a better rider race it against me, but to no avail.

Anyway, let me know when you're going back. I'd love to see your newest mods when you get them installed.

Old 11-24-2000, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

I went back the next week and there was another Raptor there. I didn't get his name. His roommate raced it for points because his 400 was down. He wasn't pushing it super hard but he took all the jumps with it including the triple and finishline jump.

The Parker Yamaha man installed turftamers and car tires off his son's spare Banshee. He seems to be extremely helpfull.

Why didn't any of the 400 guys race you? There were surely a few 440's there. I wonder if the Raptor can handle one of them?

I may try and go again this weekend. I am not for sure though being a holiday weekend. Family!

Oh by the way, I was pushing it!!

Old 11-24-2000, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, Randy is an extremely great guy to deal with. Carter's has my business anytime I can buy something there.

There was a 440ex there when I raced. It was the blue one that races in the open class quads. He has a ton of money dumped into it, but the yellow and orange Banshee that I beat in the drag supposedly whooped on him a few weeks prior. He saw me race the Banshee and I don't think he wanted any part of the Raptor. They tried to get him to line it up, but he wouldn't.

I won't be there this weekend either.

Send me your email sometime and we can keep each other up on the latest western ky Raptor happenings.

Old 11-25-2000, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

stock 400exs?

PPPPleasseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! no match