Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior motor noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior motor noise

I know I have asked this question and got some great help, but I am still nervous about the ticking noise I hear. I can hear it about up to 5 ft. away I might just be to paranoid, but if there is an adjustment to the valve (which my local Kaw. dealer owner says there is not) I want to know. Maybe the noise is no worse than any other 89 warriors but I don't want to find out the hard way. The motor seems real strong and I would like to keep it that way. I did have a a broken exhuast bolt, it actualy broke the head a little. I tack welded an aluminum threaded stud in. I kept the heat down, but did not pull the head. It was a real small weld. I work in a body shop so I am used to heat control when welding. I rode it pretty hard the other day and the noise never seemed to changeafter the fix, compared to before the fix. Also I just bought the quad and don't know the history but I don't remember the noise when I tested it, but than again I was just to excited about buying it. It had bad gas in it but I took care of it right away. I don't think that caused any problems but who knows. I appreciate all the help and hopefully this is the last time I bring this up.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

it's most likely valve tick... it can be adjusted.. take off the the stator cover, take off the little black screw plug, turn it to T , take off plastic and gas tank, take off covers(4mm allen, get the right size) you also need a special square tool to hold the locknut when adjusting the valves(size of that is 3mm) if you need specs let me know...

Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

speedy2222 Thanks for the response if you have the specs I could use them. Will it cause any harm to the motor the way it is? I plan on fixing it asap.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

also where do I get the tool

Old 06-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

any dealer can get it( parts unlimited catalog) it's i beleive $25 for a little kit.... or if you can find it(unlikely) the old yamaha big bore motorcycles(500 or 600 i beleive) used this tool.. it was just a peice of metal, one side was 3 mm other was 10...

let me get the specs...

intake
.06~.10mm
(.00236~.00394in)

exhaust
.16~.20mm
(.00630~.00787in)

Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

You can get feeler gauges at any hardware store. Actually, just last week, I saw a set of angled feelers at a Sears Hardware store.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think I am gonna tackle it myself. my local dealer can't get to it for a couple weeks and another small engine shop doesn't work on atv's anymore. They both listened to it and agree that it is a valve noise and can be adjusted. Thay don't think it will do any harm if I ride this way, but it is going in asap. My cousin said his 250 timberwolf makes the same noise and he hasn't had any problems. I am going to tear it down for the shop to do the job, what should the job run? I don't know there hourly rate, but how much time should it take (he hosed me on an oil change and chain lube on my motorcycle once)

Old 06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

Yeah I bet you found out to buy the oil and change it yourself now...That sucks. It takes 10 minutes tops to change the oil. I'd say expect a dealer to charge 100 or more. It will take them probably 30-45 minutes to do tops, but will charge you got an hour or 2. Even if you take the stuff apart. Alot of times it is just better to leave it alone and let them take it apart and then put it back together.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pixie.
As it turns out, almost all of the Warrior/Wolverine 350cc engines have this noise.
I myself not long after getting mine adjusted the valves. to no avail , the ticking was still there.
I even took it to the dealers mechanic thinking i'd done something wrong and let them do the valve adjustment,
but that just lightened my wallet $300.00.
Only after talking to a lot of wolverine/warrior owners did i realise, its just a minor motor noise
thats part of these particular engines. Nothing you can do, short of swapping for a different model
engine will totally elliminate it.

I'm shur someone will disagree with me on this.
And it won't be the first or the last time.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Good luck on your endeaver.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Magyver

Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

macgyver I talked to the actual mechanic today not the owner, he says the noise is not a big deal but it won't hurt to have them adjusted. He used to ride a honda 250x and seems to know his stuff so for the time being I am gonna ride and still get it looked at. Hopefully they don't charge me $300.

Quick Reply: warrior motor noise