Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Thank God for my helmet!!!

Old 06-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank God for my helmet!!!

I was suppoed to go practice at a local MX track but it got cancelled due to rain. It was actually pretty nice that track was just a little muddy. So we decided to go trailriding instead. So we loaded up the 4x4's and went out. We went exploring a little and got way off the trail. We were in the middle of nowhere and we ened up in a tricky situation. My friend on a Rincon was leading and the grass was very tall. There was a very steep 30 foot hill to the left and a wall like hill to the right so there was little room for error. Because of the tall grass the guy on the rincon hit two very big logs. He was stuck and it took my cousin and I about 20 min to a get him over it. HE went ahead to check it out and it was a dead end. When he had to cross back over the logs to get back to us he stopped. He did not think he would make it. My being a little cocky i said i would do it. I hit the logs hard and one of the broke sending me and the rincon rolling down the steep hill. The entire weight of the atv landed on my head. The left front tire landed on my helmet with all the atvs weight behind it.I felt so much pressure on my head. I have some deep scrathes in my helemet. I was so lucky. I was pretty much fine except i hurt my leg. Remember always wear your helmet!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are more or less OK. Sounds like that helmet saved your life.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

be sure to get a new helmet....

they are only good for one good hit...

and i am surprised it held up with a full weight of a big ute like that

Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer

I'm glad you are OK. Messing up like that is my biggest fear right now being new to riding. I was told the same thing about the helmets, I blow and then you need to replace them to be safe.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

one other thing, never think a trail is so easy u dont need a helmet, i was riding with my freind and he took off his helmet and i left mine on and we took alittle ride on some well known used, trails. I was leading and he was behind me as we were going i had the luck that i ran over a peice of a vine that pulled on a dead branch it had wrapped itself around and the big branch swung down and side swiped me, it threw me off the quad with a direct hit to the head and shoulder, im a big guy so my shoulder was just kinda sore but my helmet saved me the thing that fell weighed a good twenty pounds and swung hard enough to knock me off my quad. so remember there is no time u shouldnt wear a helmet.

steve

Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

^^^ me and a buddy were riding down old railroad tracks and came to a section of woods,i was leading and then before i knew it i felt this really hard hit to the back of my head, i stopped an dlooked down to see fencing wrapped around my tire....

Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Good thing i went with the $250 helmet and not the $100. And by the way almost nothing happened to the rincon except a few scratches. It landed wheels down in a few small trees.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

"Good thing i went with the $250 helmet and not the $100."

A $250 Snell rated helmet is not safer than a $100 Snell rated helmet. Maybe more comfort, maybe more features, but not safer. Snell is either pass or fail.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
"Good thing i went with the $250 helmet and not the $100."

A $250 Snell rated helmet is not safer than a $100 Snell rated helmet. Maybe more comfort, maybe more features, but not safer. Snell is either pass or fail.
Actually, can you be so sure? Snell is a threshold that has to be passed to be certified, but it is possible that one helmet may still be better built and better able to protect in a crash. For example, say you were looking for a new vehicle, and wanted a 5 star front crash rating. Even though you only compare 5 star vehicles, it is possible that due to weight, height, vehicle design, etc one car may give even better protection than another, even though they are "rated" the same. And I agree, price isn't the defining factor in which helmet is safer.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for letting me vent, and I apologize to those I might have offend in advance...
I gotta be honest...I just have to laugh and/or feel sorry for all the
people(at least well over 60% of other riders I run into) that don't wear
helmets...It really amazes me how stubborn and/or stupid people
really are...In a good weekend of riding I must get hit in the head at
least 5-10 times(branches, flying rocks, etc...)..The helmet and
goggles make it a non-issue...I will run into alot of families where 1 or two of the kids have
helmets on and mom and dad on their big utes don't...What in God's name
are you teaching your kids? It's alright for mom and dad to die, but not you?
99% of the atv riding deaths I read and/or hear about are directly due to the
driver/rider not wearing a helmet....Being dead really isn't that cool....
I know it's America and it's a free country, but we also don't allow people
to go around shooting themselves in the head legally...And even if you aren't killed,
living life disabled isn't as great as it sounds either...I hate to sound like a complete
heartless basta%$, but I think if you get a head injury and you don't have a helmet on,
your insurance company and/or the govt. should make you foot the bill for your head injuries...
I don't want my insurance or taxes to be any higher, just so you can look cool......
This is 2006, how can we still be so ignorant.....Don't use the excuse of "I can't afford a helmet"...It's a small price
compared to that several thousand dollar machine you're riding...And don't tell me it isn't comfortable...
Neither is being dead or disabled....And you really look ignorant, not cool if you
don't wear a helmet....Sorry, as you can tell, it is a big pet peave of mine....
Once again, I apologize to anyone who I might have offended....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thank God for my helmet!!!