Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rejet for a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejet for a K&N?

Hello there,

my husband and I each have yamahas and are wondering if we need to rejet them to add a new K&N. Well he wants to know I have no idea what he is talking about Im just the typer haha [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have a yamaha 05 bruin and he has a 06 big bear.

Thanks for the imput

Also the values on his 06 400 4x4 Big bear need to be ajusted, Is that the same procedure as doing them on a 05 350 bruin?

Thanks much from California

Purpleacres

Old 06-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

It depends on how spot-on your jetting is now. On a machine that is jetted spot-on you can add just a filter and still be safe, but quads usually come from the factory jetted lean (to pass emissions requirements). If it's already lean you should bump up the jetting a little to be safe. You can tell how your jetting is now by looking at the ceramic tip part of the spark plug. If it's brown or tan you should be fine with the filter, but if it's already a real light tan or white color you'll need to rejet it.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

oh, and to answer your second question, the adjustment procedure is the same, other than you need to adjust them to different specs than the 350.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

the k&n let in a lot more air than the stock filter so i would say check the jetting it might be fine but it might need minor adjustments

steve

Old 06-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rejet for a K&N?

Originally posted by: recon99
It depends on how spot-on your jetting is now. On a machine that is jetted spot-on you can add just a filter and still be safe, but quads usually come from the factory jetted lean (to pass emissions requirements). If it's already lean you should bump up the jetting a little to be safe. You can tell how your jetting is now by looking at the ceramic tip part of the spark plug. If it's brown or tan you should be fine with the filter, but if it's already a real light tan or white color you'll need to rejet it.
I pulled the plugas out of my banshee the other day and they were covered in oil. Is my oil/fuel ratio a little too rich? Sorry if this is off topic. I will be putting a k&n on it in the near future....

Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

I put a K&N on my banshee without rejetting it about a year ago and havnt had a problem with it yet. When I get my pipes ill rejet... duh...

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

you would think everyone would know to rejet after putting on pipe right, well the guy who had my warrior before me but on supertrapp exhaust, powerbomb header, and a new airfilter with out rejeting and to make it better he tried polishing the carb himself,

steve

Old 06-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Rejet for a K&N?

They come lean from the factor to meet EPA standards. Adding a K & N will let in even more air making it that much leaner. You might get buy by just riching up the fuel screw but I'd bump up the main jet one or two sizes.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

Originally posted by: *******
Originally posted by: recon99
I pulled the plugas out of my banshee the other day and they were covered in oil. Is my oil/fuel ratio a little too rich? Sorry if this is off topic. I will be putting a k&n on it in the near future....
I think it's normal for a 2 stroke plug to get oily like that, but i'm not much of a 2 stroke guy so I could be wrong.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rejet for a K&N?

I actually hear more filter dealers say you dont have to rejet just adding a free flowing (K&N) filter.

Quick Reply: Rejet for a K&N?