Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

At what age do you get them riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what age do you get them riding?

My wife's pregnant with our first and it's a boy. She's due in about 2 and a half months. How early can you get them on a quad? And which ones?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son turns 5 the beginning of August and I was thinking of getting him a little quad. I would love to know what kind to get him also?

Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot is going to depend on the individual. My son is 7, and is just now becoming mature enough IMO to begin riding. Of course, I set some benchmarks he needed to better so that I didn't just go out and buy him something on a whim. Congrats on the new little one, best wishes on a safe and easy delivery.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the kid first of all. You can start them real young but move them up as they mature. With full protective equipment, adult supervision, and a flat peice of grass there isnt much they can do to hurt themselves. Any 50 will work, doesnt really matter which one if you ask me.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

The main reason I ask is because this past weekend I found some Thor riding pants that say they're for a 1-2 year old. Of course my wife had to buy them because she thought they were the cutest thing she'd ever seen. I didn't realize you could start them that young though. I wasn't sure if they made them just to dress the kid up when you go to the dunes or if any kids actually start at age one. Anyone heard of a one or two year old riding a quad?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I believe you shouldn't start them out at the age of 1 because of the fact that they can't even talk, or barely can. Lol... My cousin is about 1 1/2 and she is just now starting to get to know the world.... maybe the age of 2, 2 1/2 you might get them a little electric one from wal mart to start out on, then when she actually knows what he is doing, go with a little 50. And ofcourse go up on size as they mature. I feel what you are feelin man, I want my baby cousin to come out and ride with me too! I have had her sit on the quad, and stretch to the handle bars, lol. But yeah, just don't do anything you think your son isn't ready for. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Congrats on the new boy! Hope everything goes well for ya'll!

Zach

Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

My wife rode when pregnant, then our kids rode with us in those belly sling things you carry them in, then rode lots sitting in front of us hanging onto the handlebar crossbar with feet on "kiddie pegs" I built which stuck out just below the gas tank, then on electric wheelers at age 18 months or so, onto the Suzuki 50 at about 3, Blasters at 7 or 8, now at 12 and 15 they are on modded Blaster and Z400, and can ride with the best of anyone.

And we've never had any injury more than a bruise to this point.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well like other have stated it varies alot by kids but seems like 4 to 6 is a good age depending on the child.

My son rode a small electric one around age 2, and now at 4 he rides a large electric one. I was going to buy him a 50cc this summer (he will be 5 soon) but he is getting a little cocky on the electric one lol So im thinking of waiting till next summer.

Im not much on the chinese quads but I think Im going to go with a Kazuma 50cc. A neighbor has one and it runs good and they are only $500 so I figure worth a shot.

PS grats on the baby Have two kids and they are alot of fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

It all depends on the age and maturity level of the kid. I just started my stepson on a dirtbike a few months ago. He'll be 10 next week and he RIPS after just 3 months. But he already had been riding a bicycle for like 7 years or something like that.

My suggestion would be to wait until he's about 3 or 4 and then start him on a dirtbike with training wheels. Much safer to have him on something smaller and lighter than a quad. Even a 50 is pretty heavy.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I got my first quad when i was 4..(yamaha 50) My 8 year old rides the warrior when someone is watching him..And my 6 year old is starting to ride good to...It all depends... some kids start before others...

Quick Reply: At what age do you get them riding?