Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 660 Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 660 Modifications

i HOPE you're wroung or i will be selling this pipe. I am having doughts now that I bought it, all this work for a loud 3 HP. Also I had the header coated with some special High heat reductent coating. Will this help my HP numbers at all?

Old 07-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a aftermarket slip on exhaust, uni filter and the right jets and u will feel a big differnece im very very sure of that, i can win a raptor 700 now so u go ahead!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Ya I arady bought it and the guy sent it I guess I will have to wate and see. I was also looking at geting a High comp piston like somthing like 11 to 1 because I hear you can still run 93 octane and they will give you a few more horse and rev quicker. My only conserns are it will sarfice reliablily and do you have to get the cam with the piston kaz I dont want to put another 100 for the hotcam. I have heard the 11 to 1 will bearly crank over and it is really hard on all the other stock engine parts. Is this true and would you guzs recomoend this or just stay with stock?
I was also looking at airfilters and what is difference between UNI and k&n beside proce? do k&n flow better and hold up better or should i save my 20 and get a UNI, Witch looks like cheap foam.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh yeah u would install a camshaft and piston, if i where u i would intall first a camshaft (hot cams) stage 1 if u want 2 save money but if u dont care about the money then u should buy a stage 2, the difference is that with a stage 1 u can use the stock valve springs and with the stage 2 u have 2 buy a aftermarket kit wich cost u almost the same as the camshaft on ebay u can find good deals!!! and about the piston: dont intall a higher one then 11 to 1 cuz i think if u go higher its not that good for the motor, u have more troubles if it goes higher then 11, but if u intall a camshaft, piston or both be sure 2 install headers 2 cuz is a differense like day and night with stock headers or aftermarket headers.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

have a aftermarket slip on exhaust, uni filter and the right jets and u will feel a big differnece im very very sure of that, i can win a raptor 700 now so u go ahead!!!
So your telling me you can beat a new rappy 700 with a slip on pipe and a uni filter??

Like i said..Its going to be a little more snappy...But your not going to gain alot of HP...But everyone has to start mods somewhere..And the first thing people put on is a pipe.. so your doing good...But dont get your hopes to high..Its not like your going to gain 10HP out of it..Iv been doing this for awhile.. Iv built a few rappys and warriors.. Just dont get your hopes to high.. becouse some KID thinks his got the faster quad on here with a PIPE and UNI...

Old 07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

and about the piston: dont intall a higher one then 11 to 1 cuz i think if u go higher its not that good for the motor, u have more troubles if it goes higher then 11, but if u intall a camshaft, piston or both be sure 2 install headers 2 cuz is a differense like day and night with stock headers or aftermarket headers.
OMG...LMFAO....Just what i thought....Your just a PUP...Before you start posting stuff.. You need to know what you are talking about...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

now lets not start flameing but I am leaning twards driver doyals side and a really appreciate the honest imput doyal. I Did not beleave that these pipes were going to give 10 hp but people kept claming they were going to make tromendous differences so i have decided to try it. Also to rubnmenon what I was trying to ask was is if anybuddy was having problems with 11 to 1 pistons such as wipeing the starters or hard cranking.I know about all the stage one and two cams and would defentaly not put a stage 2 in because you are going to need heaver springs and all that and I dont know about you guzs but I bought this quad to ride and I ride trails and rarely use all the power I got and just wanted to pep my quad up a litle bit. The reason I am asking about pistons is I did a compresion cheack the other day after a adjusted my valves and yes I know how to adjust them and my compresion was 120 and its spose to be at about 170 to 180 so its down. I did the oil trick, were u put a bit of oil in it and re test it and the compresion jumped to 175 indicateing my head was a bit scraped up. So i was just wondering a bout thoes high comp pistons but i think I would put a stocker in now after reading reviewes. I gess I will see when I get the pipe, odds are some one here is gonna get a cheap pipe.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

now lets not start flameing but I am leaning twards driver doyals side and a really appreciate the honest imput doyal. I Did not beleave that these pipes were going to give 10 hp but people kept claming they were going to make tromendous differences so i have decided to try it. Also to rubnmenon what I was trying to ask was is if anybuddy was having problems with 11 to 1 pistons such as wipeing the starters or hard cranking.I know about all the stage one and two cams and would defentaly not put a stage 2 in because you are going to need heaver springs and all that and I dont know about you guzs but I bought this quad to ride and I ride trails and rarely use all the power I got and just wanted to pep my quad up a litle bit. The reason I am asking about pistons is I did a compresion cheack the other day after a adjusted my valves and yes I know how to adjust them and my compresion was 120 and its spose to be at about 170 to 180 so its down. I did the oil trick, were u put a bit of oil in it and re test it and the compresion jumped to 175 indicateing my head was a bit scraped up. So i was just wondering a bout thoes high comp pistons but i think I would put a stocker in now after reading reviewes. I gess I will see when I get the pipe, odds are some one here is gonna get a cheap pipe.
Well if your wanting to run higher compression pistion its not big thing...I would change your rod if you went any higher...Im running high compression.. Im not going to say what it is..I just dont like people to know what i have..LOL..But i will say this..My best friend is running 14.1 pistion with no probs...But you have to have a compression release on your head to start them...But you can go with a 11.1 pistion and get away with 93 but i would run 95...Sometimes we use 111 race gas and mix it with 91 to get what we need...But i mix 91 and methol to get what i need..But if you have any question just message me and i will help you out..

Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help doyal but i dont think im up to the task of tearing apart a running 4 stroke just yet. Also im not to thriled about instaling compresion releases and having to run race fuel. I dont want it detonationg and causing more damage so for now i think i am going to stick with The pipe and have the headers coated and raptor junkie said he would sell me a K&N and well go from there. just not looking into anaymore maintence and i think its all i need for trail rideing and can hang with the guzs i ride with easy. Thanks for the help tho i appreciate It. As you can see I am newer to these forms and its like a differend wourld, people are so willing to help with you're problems.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

No Prob...Anytime you need help just message me...And i quess you look at my pic page.. all i do is 300 foot drags....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: raptor 660 Modifications