Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Mods

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I am planning on buying Alba's higher compression piston and .450 cam kit.
I currently own a pretty much mint condition, but stock 2000 Warrior.

I just bought a Cobra Jet model silencer, though I know it may not be the best money can buy, but I didn't want to put a fortune into a pipe kit. I figure something better than stock, plus a K&N, which I've also bought, and later this piston + cam kit mentioned above. My curiousity is what kind of increase can I expect over stock with the engine mods and the new exhaust plus K&N?

My bike already has larger than stock jetting, which I believe the previous owner must have had a pipe on it, and returned it to stock, but left the jets in. It's running very rich right now, and it even misses if you're not on the gas hard, etc. The plug is black, etc. He did some riding in the snow, and never ran the bike in the dirt.

Any advice on installing this kit, or getting my bike set up with these mods will be appreciated. I'm not a big jumper because I'm too old to be getting too high into the air anyhow, but a little kick in the butt out in the open will be something I'm interested in so this is why I'm going this rout. The stock power just doesn't quite cut it for my tastes.

I won't be able to sell the Warrior anytime soon for a Z or something that would be better, so I am willing to put a little money into this Warrior. I also plan on replacing the front and rear grab bars with aluminum bars to trim some weight off.

What else can I cut to save some additional weight on it?

Bill

1982 Yamaha XT 250 (Like the one Rambo steals, and runs from the Sherrif in Rambo - First Blood (Sold in 1989!)
2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 (Jetted only)
2001 Honda Recon 250 (All stock)
2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the nephew. Mods - 11t front sprocket.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

You'll probably gain around 5 hp out of the alba kit. Sadly, you'll probably lose 1 or 2 hp out of the cobra exhaust. The design is really THAT bad. Plus they sound like chit and are too loud. But don't worry, probably within the next year it'll rust out, break off, or otherwise fall apart and give you an excuse to buy a good exhuast.

What kind of k&n did you get? The factory drop-in style, or a clamp-on kit? The drop-ins are a waste of money, because they form a bad seal with the airbox and can let dirt slip past into your engine, and ususally fall apart after a few cleanings. For 20 or 30 bucks more you can get a clamp on k&n which forms a reliable seal, flows better, is more durable, and allows the removal of the airbox lid for a few additional hp.

There's not really much worthwhile to make a warrior lighter, all the dead weight is in the engine. My warrior probably weighs 20 lbs more than stock and it doesn't feel any heavier than a stock one.

If you want a good investment, here's one. Get an edelbrock carburetor. It'll save you a lot of trouble with rejetting, get rid of the annoying throttle response problem, and give it a nice kick in the pants.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Also, one of the most beneficial mods you can do to your warrior is to ditch the stock tires for a good set of aftermarket ones that suit your riding style and terriain. The only things the stock ones are good for is getting punctured and leaking air, causing rollovers, getting you stuck, and they can put up a nice smokey burnout on pavement.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Warrior Mods

greg.. i found out how to PROPERLY seal a stock filter... it's so unbeleiveably simple it's stupid...

also.. +1 opn the ditch the cobra.. worst slipon ever even thought of... the inventor needs his ******* cut off and fed to him through a straw... because his jaw will already be wired shut

Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Originally posted by: Speedy2222
greg.. i found out how to PROPERLY seal a stock filter... it's so unbeleiveably simple it's stupid...

also.. +1 opn the ditch the cobra.. worst slipon ever even thought of... the inventor needs his ******* cut off and fed to him through a straw... because his jaw will already be wired shut
Nice.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

Oh man, that sucks!

I guess, I should have gotten on here before buying that exhaust! I just figured it had to have less back pressure than stock, but I guess, I blew it on that one.

Maybe, I could list it on eBay, and give it away. It is not the steel version, so maybe it won't rust out. It's their "best" one for whatever that must be worth. Aluminum - It kinda resembles a maller version of the Honda Recon stock muffler, which I actually kind of like. I was hoping to at least save a few pounds by getting rid of the gigantic stock muffler, even if I didn't gain much power, etc. It's hard to believe that it wouldn't be at least a little better than stock?

I knew someone would thrash on it, but I didn't think it would be that bad. I just didn't want to put out hundreds of bucks for a muffler just because it had some titanium or something in it that I don't really care about. I don't go for bells and whistles. I was just attempting to find something basic that would be a little better and lighter. I don't enjoy paying $100 extra dollars to save an ounce of weight for titanium or something. Oh well, maybe I'll wind up selling it if it sucks that badly. Live and ya learn, I guess.

Unfortunately, I did buy the stock drop-in K&N. I did not know there was a clamp-on one that would work in the air box. I do go through some deeper water sometimes to cross under an interstate through a drain pipe, so I can't really run an exposed type filter out of the box, etc. I can rig up something, or maybe drill out the box lid. I'll take your advice and keep an eye on how that thing seals against the box.

I'd like to get another carb, but that's some bucks for something I already have that though it is a pain in the butt, maybe I can get it jetted to work o.k.

I'm surprised only 5 hp more out of the cam and piston. A gain is a gain, I guess. Alba says that with their pipe kit, and that piston/cam kit that one can almost double their hp! I guess that's an advertising scheme, or that i should have bought the complete Alba combo.

Thanks for all the info. I would like to hear from someone who has that muffler though, maybe you have already had one, don't know.

Bill

1982 Yamaha XT 250 (Like the one Rambo steals, and runs from the Sherrif in Rambo - First Blood (Sold in 1989!)
2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the nephew. Mods - 11t front sprocket

Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

Oh, and the stock tires are ditched, I forgot to include that. It has Holeshots on it. 20x11x9, I think.

So, what is this secret to sealing the filter in the stock air box?

Thanks,

Bill

2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the nephew. Mods - 11t front sprocket.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

Hey Recon 99!

What size tires and make are you running on the rear of yours, i see? Mine has no ground clearance, where I can see yours does. Also, what sprockets are you running with those big tires?

Bill

Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Mods

Oh, and nice Recon, Recon 99!

2000 Yamaha Warrior 350 (Jetted, Holeshot Rears)
2006 SUNL 110cc (Chinese - Honda clone engine) Not a bad little bike for the 7-year old nephew after you tighten all the bolts on it from the little Chineese women assembling it.
Mods - 11t front sprocket

Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warrior Mods

Aside from the cobra being built flimsy, the other big problem with it is the design. I'm sure it does have less back pressure than stock, but on a small engine that doesn't mean more power. A properly designed muffler works to pull all the exhaust gasses out of the cylinder so more air and fuel can enter on the next stroke. Lower back pressure doesn't do that for you, actually with these engines it usually causes a power loss because it doesn't evacuate the gasses as well as the stock one does.

What I mean by a clamp on filter is acutally a kit that comes with a billet aluminum adapter that screws into the airbox against the part where the stock filter seals up against. You clamp the filter onto that adapter, which results in both a positive seal, and the ability to retain your airbox and lid if you wish.

The rear tires on my warrior are 22-11-9. They are Cheng Shin Shredders, and I really wouldn't recommend them. They have too much sidewall flex, wear out quickly, and the tread design isn't as well thought-out as it should be. If you want more ground clearance a taller tire is the only way to go, but try to stick with the better known tires. They cost a few bucks more, but they are a far superior tire.

I have my motor modded pretty good, so that affects my gearing setup. I run a 14/40 setup most of the time, and I run a 12/40 setup when I need more pulling power. I use my warrior for hauling firewood around, and moving dirt to build the tracks, and the 14t sprocket is too tall for that.

Quick Reply: Warrior Mods