Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

please help with my wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with my wolverine

this thing is driving me nuts...it runs fine cold . and when fully warmed up it appears to miss and pop under full throttle. heres the catch...ive had every size main in it from 142.5 through 155.it pops the most at 145 main, pops the least at 155 but has a power loss.has the most full throttle power with a 147.5 jet but its starts sputtering at a lower rpm.the compression measures 165 with a je 10.5 .080 over piston. it gets to the point of having 50% of normal power when heated up. i have a big bear oil cooler ,but the lines are quite frozen on the stock cooler. could it be an intake leak as the plug is pretty light in color .do the wolverine and warrior have intake boot issues ? love this bike even though!thanks for the help ahead guys

Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

When you say it runs fine cold, is that also with the choke on?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

This is a jetting problem that is going to require tuning the whole carburetor itself. There is a certain sequence in which you are supposed to do this in too. I dont exactly know the correct sequence offhand but I do know for a fact that this is your problem.

You are going to have to almost tune each circuit individually to make it smooth and have the correct mixture at all throttle positions. Its not giong to be as hard as it sounds.

I really cant remember how to do this, my advice would be to either go with a racing carburetor or if you plan on tuning the existing carburetor, just educate yourself as much as you can on how it works. Search carburetor circuits on the internet and/or call a manufacturer or engine builder and learn everything that you can about it. Once you get it in the correct state of tune its giong to run great. The information you will get from this will be very valuable in the future.

Adam

Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just got finished getting a friend of mine's wolv back up and running. He had very similar symptoms, and it ended up being a dirty carb. We tried replacing just about everything, and cleaning everything. Thought we had the carb clean, but guess we didn't. Ended up taking the carb to a carb shop and letting them clean in completly out for $20. I would suggest getting this done to at least eliminate that as an issue. It for sure can't hurt. The carb is easy enough to get off.

Would be interested to know how it responds with choke pulled. Best of luck. Gotta love a wolv, they are great machines.