Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 Kodiak speed limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Kodiak speed limited

I have a 2005 Kodiak that is limited to 20 mph in high and 10 mph in low in 2wd. It started when I went through a puddle (fairly deep) and the engine cut out. I hopped off and pulled it out quickly. After it was out of the puddle I drained some water out from the belt. There was no water in the air box so a few minutes later I started it up. It started right up it reved fine the only strange thing that I noticed was the reverse light was flashing while I was in park reving the engine. I stared to ride after that and noticed that the top speed was 20 mph. I have all of my power up to about 15 mph then it just makes a lot of noise and doesn't go much faster. I tried pressing and holding the override switch but it made no difference. It has been about a month so everything is dried out but I still have the problem. I just pulled my air box and reseated the connectors for the gear indicator wires and that did nothing. Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem or any ideas on something to try.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

from one Chad to another, I am having that same problem on my 450.

I got an answer from another guy that basically said take apart your belt caover, clutch cover and degrease, scuff and reassemble. So far I have just wiped down with a rag and put back together but even that helped me get back about 5mph.

read my topic "water problem kodiak 450" to read hjis full reply, hope this helps, I will let you know if I find anything else.

Chad

Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

After I saw the reply to your post I pulled the belt cover off of mine. I didn't see any grease but it was dusty. This week I will take it apart and clean it. I'll let you know how I make out. Good luck with yours.

Chad

Old 08-28-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

this is hopefully an easy fix.... drain the carb a couple times. I had a drop of water or piece of crud in my carb, and draining it a couple of times really helped. It does sound like a plugged mainjet in the carb.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

rev limiter maybe?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

It's your Rev limiter kicking in. Check the connection on thel eft side near the front differental. Make sure its plugged in real good.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drained the carb once the day it first happened and that didn't make a difference. I will definitely try to drain it a couple more times and see if that helps.

I checked the throttle limiter and it is clean and all the way out.

It is very strange because the problem is exactly the same every time. I have all of my power up to exactly 15 mph then it just makes a lot of noise but doesn't go much faster. My absolute top speed is exactly 20 mph in high and exatly 10 mph in low. This top speed doesn't matter if I am going up or down a hill. I don't think it is the rev limiter because it is a constant engine rpm and note. I believe when I hit the rev limiter in reverse it doesn't make a constant engine sound. It sounds kind of like it is bouncing off a rev limit. (not sure if that makes sense)

With the problem happening at exactly the same speed up or down hills I am starting to believe it is some kind of electrical problem. It almost seems like it has been entered into some kind of "safe mode" and the brain needs to be completely reset. With that said I unplugged the battery cable over night and that had no effect. Has anyone heard of some master reset possibly by holding down a couple buttons on the display?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Did you check all your fuses?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

a plugged mainjet in your carb will kill top end speed aswell.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does it sound like it is just staying in first, if there actually was a first? I would bet money it is the tranny. I have done this to mine more than once. Pull your cover off and regrease the sheave. If you need directions go to www.grizzhopper.com. Very comprehensive. I pulled this one first thing in the morning a while back and had to ride around all day like that. Made for some interesting trail riding. If you didn't go up to your racks, then your stock snorkels may be loose, so check them while you are at it.

Quick Reply: 05 Kodiak speed limited