Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips

I'm looking into getting a set of heated grips and a thumb warmer for my 2003 Wolverine. Where should I tap into to power these? I know I can run a lead directly to the battery, but if there's an easier wire to access, let me know. Any other Wolvie owners who have heated grips?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

Ok, for those of you who don't have a Wolvie, but have heated grips...what did you tap into to power the grips?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Heated Grips

just run the wire to the batt.... that way.. if you want to disconnect them.. it's easier...

Old 08-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

That's what it may come to. That may be the easiest thing to do.....

Old 10-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

Bump! I went with the Moose Winter Pack. Anyone know a good hot lead to tap into that's aroud the pod/dash? I was thinking of tapping into one of the wires that leads to the ignition key?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer
Default Heated Grips

I have the moose hand grips, they come with a little snap thing that taps into the wire by just squeezing and snapping it. the grips work very well, and the little switch looks good on the counsel. i cant remember which wire i hooked it too it was under the counsole. i kinda screwed up because i hooked it to a wire before the ignition so they are on when the power(key) is off, so if i forget to turn them off, they drain the battery, but it does take awhile. if i remember, ill look at it when i get home, im at school now.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

Cool, thanks. I appreciate you looking into that.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

The best way is to run a separate wire to the battery, with an inline fuse. A 5 amp fuse is big enough.
If for some reason you pinched a wire, or a bare spot hit some metal...youre gonna wreck alot of expensive wiring...if its not protected by a fuse.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

I tapped my grip warmers into the key switch wires, that way I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally running my battery dead. I also just ran the ground to the nearest bolt on the frame. The key switch wiring is already fused, so you don't need to worry about that. If something were to go wrong with the grips you wouldn't start a fire or damage the wiring, just pop the fuse.

Did you already get the moose grip heaters? If not, STOP! I HATE those freaking things, they're so big and uncomforable i'd rather ride with cold hands. What I run are grip heaters for snowmobiles, they're heater elements that go INSIDE your handlebars under the grips, that way you can still keep your comforable grips that actually GRIP and don't get all slippery. The installation is just a little bit more involved than the moose heaters, because you have to drill a hole in the bars and fish the wires through, and then wire those up to a seperate toggle switch. But for $20 for a single temp kit, or $30 for the high/low kit, i think they're a good bit cheaper than the moose heaters too. I don't know how warm the moose heaters actually get, but after these things are on for about 5 minutes I gotta turn them off before my insulated hunting gloves begin melting to my skin. Even after you turn them off, they stay hot for 10 more minutes.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Heated Grips

I like the key switch wiring idea because there's little chance of leaving them on. Even though the set I bought has an auto shut off...better safe than sorry.

I went with the moose winter pack. They have a rubber grip with a plastic insert. They don't seem too hard, but I'll see how they are on the machine. It came with a thumbwarmer and you can adjust the level of heat on the grips and the thumb warmer via the control pad. It's a pretty slick setup.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips