Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 engine mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 engine mods?

Sarg,

I am very interested in what you find out with the clutch kit, What is it supposed to do for you? I went to the EPI website but couldn't figure out which would work because they all said for stock exhaust? Do you know much about the cam you found? what it is supposed to do for you? How much increase?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

For the clutch kit, I called EPI and asked why it was only for stock machines and what they offer for modded ones. they said that it will perform really well with a modded machine and that you could even add there pro performance spring kit, which is for more drags, pulls and mudding. They just simply can't do testing on all the different atv's out there after a few mods are put on. They would be broke. AS for the camshaft. all it says is that it has a good low to mid range power increase but no numbers. Check out the Webcam website and let me know if you find anything else.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sarg,
So I think the perfect answer is for you to do both mods and then let me know? j/k[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], No seriously I am doing more research, but these two mods sound like they might make a good difference. I need someone in the Portland area who is good with these bikes to do some work? I haven't ever broke into one of these 4 strokes so I am not too sure about doing the add ons? I'll bet between the clutch kit and the cam you could add some good low end.

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 09-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

I will bolt on a pipe and at the most jet it but messing with the internals of an engine freaks me out. I'm not mechanically inclined so wrenching on a perfectly good reliable motor for a couple extra horses isn't an option for me, I didn't buy the bike for speed.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

They only other different mod i have found lately is a performance CDI that Bikeman Performance will be making in the near future. They say that a gain of approximately 4 hp is availabe with there unit. Other then that, I haven't seen anything from Wiseco or anybody else for that matter, but when i do, they're deffinately going into the bike!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sarg,
CDI? not sure of what that stands for?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know exactly what CDI stands for but i know it is the type of ingition system on the bike. It is a simple replacement plug in for the stock module.. I changes your ignition timing and rev limit.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try checking out bikemanperformance.com, thay don't have one listed for the Wolvie, but i have talked to them and they said it will probably be introduced by Xmas.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finally A CDI BOX!!!!!!! i've been waiting a year for one its about time!! and if anybody wants to know Get the web cam cam ( the Racing Valve Spring Kit one) for the kodiak 450 and put it in its fantastic.
before i added the cam, I slapped on some 25" tires for more clearance for hopping over logs and i was disipointed about the power loss so i dumped in the cam, GYTR pipe a jet kit and had my buddie port and polish the head and i got back all the power i lost and gained a little bit more. plus he tires added 5mph to my speed but it thows the speedomedor off. (does anybody know how to correct that?)
the cam adds a little tick sound to the motor but I dont care. the power is what counts and its great. Has anybody gotten the clutch kit yet I was thinking of adding it or seeing if it would doo anything to impove the lag form the auto tranny and give it a little more snap form the start and will it kill my top end?

Old 09-23-2006, 02:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info, I will check into the ignition, cam and clutch kit, it sounds like these few mods could make a good difference. As for porting and polishing the head that might help some, I am curious as to anyone in the Portland Area that does these mods on this type of bike? Anyone know ?

Quick Reply: Wolverine 450 engine mods?