Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

700 Griz intermittant missing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Griz intermittant missing.

Just got home from a trip where I put 440 miles on my 07 Griz. When brand new I lubed air filter with Bel Ray and then lock tighted fasteners after finding several loose items. At 40. miles I changed motor oil and filter. At 325 miles I had valves adjusted, had oil and filter changed a second time, and had air filter cleaned/lubed. Up to this time I had no issues what-so-ever. Now starting with first ride after getting valves adjusted the motor began having an intermittant miss fire after it warmed up. Usually the missing will begin after riding about 3 miles and motor is fully warmed up. The miss fire is very short in period and usually less than one second duration. After several miles I noticed that whenever it miss fires the reverse light also comes on just for the duration of the miss fire. Usually you do not have time to look at the reverse light during miss fire because the duration is so short. Took Griz back to dealer that adjusted valves in Richfield, Utah, and he advised that he could not look at for 4 days at earliest so I did not leave there and decided to just come home to California. While passing through St. George, Utah, I noticed a large Yamaha/ multi brand dealer so I pulled in. They had time to do an immediate diognostic check. They could not locate any problem and could not duplicate the miss fire. They expect that any of following 4 situations may be occuring. (1), Perhaps when valves were adjusted some electrical connection may have been left partially loose and perhaps now that all connectors were checked there is chance that miss fire is corrected. (2), May have defective reverse indicator switch. (3), May have defective electronic control module. (4), May have defective wire harness. I decided to start for home and check for missing somewhere on the way home. Unloaded Griz at Primm, Nevada, and took out for ride and missing began again after about 3 miles. Unloaded again next day in Fresno, Calif, and was not able to get miss fire to occur in about 5 miles in colder conditions. I dropped Griz off today at my dealer in SF Bay Area along with long story of what I have gone through. So will just have to wait and see.
For the first 325 miles before missing began this was by far the best quad I have ever ridden. Best feature is terrainability, this is Yamaha term that I sure agree with. In all kinds of gnarly situations including steep up hills with lots of rocks, steep down hills with off camber slick rock, lots of off camber creek beds, elevation variation from 5,000 ft to 11,000 ft . Never had to use diff lock. Just put her into 4WD low range and let her chug through everything. I followed several Rincons and Sportsmen. Many times they would be struggling in rough terrain when the Griz just made everything look so easy. And I know these guys were much more experienced but the difference was in the machines potential.
This machine does everything so well that I have never even had second thoughts about buying a first year model. I expected to have some issues and now I am prepared to deal with them. This is truly that good of a machine. No regrets at all on my part.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

bump...I sure hope that no response means no one else is seeing this. I will report back after dealer gets problem sorted out.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have not experienced it, but it sounds like the reverse rev limiter is being triggered somehow.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Finally have this all fixed and tested. Hooray. I had two problems. The main issue was that the shifting rod needed to be adjusted. In process of trying to determine source of problem at two different dealers the connection between reverse sensor and main wire harness became damaged. I first noticed missing at about 350 miles on odo. This was before any other reports of intermittant missing. Dealers had no idea what problem was. Over 4 returns to dealers they pulled all connections to test, adjusted shifting rod, replaced reverse sensor, and even replaced electronic control unit. Finally they located and repaired damaged connector between reverse sensor and wire harness and told me to come and get my griz. They were so sure they had problem fixed and told me if not they would get me brand new unit.
Well the intermittant missing was still present. By now I had read about the shifting rod needing to be shortened 1/2 turn on Highlifter. I pulled side cover and shortened shifting rod myself and problem solved. I didn't believe dealer that I would get new unit plus I didn't want to wait any longer. Mine now has 580 miles and I sure would not want to start all over with all the break in procedures. The shop manual gives a shift rod length of 16.3 inches but this is not always perfect and could need to be slightly shorter as with my situation.
I rode 30 miles today at Carnigie Cycle Park in Tracey, California, thru all kinds of rocks, hills, and ruts with a big smile the entire time and not one miss.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 AM
DS2
Range Rover

Thanks for sharing your troubles. I'm happy to hear all is well. I have not had any troubles yet, but we don't have many miles on her. My local riding area is under 3+ feet of water. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

You may haev got a Grizz before Yam did a recall to dealers about the shifter. I hear some adjustments were made. Jot go my 700 and have no problems as yet. Not many miles on it yet. Thanks for the info. So far I love it. The power steering is great. As for being a new first year most of the unit is proven. The EPS and frame are new. After a full day of riding I was still ready to go more.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the missing the only symptom of an incorrectly adjusted shift rod, or are there other factors such as hard shifting etc.?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Several riders have reported hard shifting without the missing. I have found that just a pause and a little throttle will usually allow smoother shifting. I now regularly do this rather than just horseing it into gear. Just like rocking a manual tranny back and forth to get splines lined up properly. I don't know of any cases where very small and fine adjustment made shifting easier. Too much adjusting and you could be back into missing zone.
I did hear about the early dealer shifting rod recall before delivery. I was told twice that all recommended adjustments were made.
Most cases of missing occur after several hundred miles of riding and when shifting rod linkage has loosened up a bit. I believe that forcing the gear shifter into gear rather than carefully finding the sweet spot can contribute to problem. Joints on each end of rod can also be lubricated.