Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

restoring the plastic

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restoring the plastic

My wife's raptor has black plastic and after a family member scratched it up getting on it I tried all types of after market products. Indeed you need to fill in the scratches to make them go away. There are some buff out type products that I tried that do nothing except dull the plastic. I tried armour all tire black, plastic polish. All of these did not give me the results I wanted.

A neighbor suggested I try a floor polish, his thinking it was shiny and durable and made for a "plastic floor" So I tried some Mop and Glo.....I know I laughed about it but it works and oh does it work well! It restored the faded dull look and boy was it shiny. For the small investment, a couple of dollars, try it out. One problem I found was streaking. I had to learn to make long passes with the rag. After it dries it is durable too.

Post back if you try it. I am curious to see if you have the same results.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I second the mop and glow. Ive even used it inside the fenders, to keep the mud from building up and sticking to the plastic, on my 4x4.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I would have tried but i bought some fusion paint already and put a few coats on it and its looking good so far we will have to se how long it holds up for.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

How about getting rid of those white stress marks, I've heard mention of a heat gun, just wondering if anybody has had much luck with that?
Terry

Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

Stress marks will disappear with a heat gun, done it before on all kinds of plastic. But not my quad i got the white plastic so i wont have to worry about that, i just have a quad that was sitting in the sun for years and the blue was alst white looking.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: olwarrior
I would have tried but i bought some fusion paint already and put a few coats on it and its looking good so far we will have to se how long it holds up for.
I used the fusion paint on some outdoor patio chairs that are plastic. I put it on in the spring and it lasted all summer. the shine went away, but it still has color.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you don't plan on riding it for a while and want it to shine, wash it and spray the crap out of it with Son of a gun. Don't touch it with a cloth and let it dry itself. Looks pretty slick for a while.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've like using Lemon Pledge to shine my plastic and help hide light scratces but it won't remove scratcehs. It gives a good shine and doesn't attract dirt like Son-of-a-Gun. I've been using it for over 20 years on snowmobiles. atv's, and the flexible plastic windows on my boat camper top with good results. When used on the flexible plastic windows it helps keep them more flexible. One thing I've always wonder though is that since it does soften the plastic windows does it make hard plastic more susceptable to scratching. I also suspect that Pledge doesn't give UV protection like Son-of-a Gun or Armor-All but my stuff is stored inside when not in use.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default restoring the plastic"></title><script src=

Guys

Plastic can be temporarily shined up using a product that contains glycol. The plastic renew does work but it takes a lot of sanding. I got tired of hand sanding so I threw a abralon pad on a palm sander. Abralon is a foam sanding disc and they rock. I work my way up to a 4000 grit pad which had a better shine then the plastic before I started. I was very curious about the plastic renew so I tried a spot and it looked really good. So I did the whole fender. It took about three pressure washes and it started dulling down then I applied more. Results were about the same three washes later so I buffed them out with Presta 1500 grit compound and a foam pad.
Bottom line Old school elbow grease and time are what works. Everything else is a short cut.

I have also sanded them down, wiped them with a wax and grease remover. Shot them with a adhesion promoter and clear coat them with a flex additive. They look better than new almost fake.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default restoring the plastic"></title><script src=

why dont yiu just get a graphic kit which looks a lot better than the plain fender...also try a type of putty or cork on the scratches then just paint it what ever color you want.(if you try the cork/putty let me know how it works)

Quick Reply: restoring the plastic