Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how do we start our quads in winter?

Old 11-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do we start our quads in winter?

Originally posted by: rubberknob
where i live it gets down to -37 celcius with windchill and sometimes colder. I start with full choke, rev up engine a bit (5 bursts) try to put choke to half, (couple more bursts then hold steadily at very low rpm so it doesn't stall, then turn choke off, go inside for 5-10 mins.
Windchill has no effect when starting an engine. It's only the actual temperature that matters. Windchill just makes an engine cool down that much quicker when you shut it down.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: wolverine68
Originally posted by: rubberknob
where i live it gets down to -37 celcius with windchill and sometimes colder. I start with full choke, rev up engine a bit (5 bursts) try to put choke to half, (couple more bursts then hold steadily at very low rpm so it doesn't stall, then turn choke off, go inside for 5-10 mins.
Windchill has no effect when starting an engine. It's only the actual temperature that matters. Windchill just makes an engine cool down that much quicker when you shut it down.
If you're not parking inside it makes a difference. I said that to give people an idea of how cold it is where I am. It will even get that cold with out windchill. Some people think -15 is cold. Last year I seen days well into the mid to high -40's with windchill.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since there is no water on the outside of your engine to evaporate, it does not see any windchill effects. Remember the old dry/wet bulb thermometer readings you used to have to make back in earth science, or whatever they call it in Manitoba? Your engine is just like the dry bulb, it only sees the true ambient temperature.

BTW, just start your engine in the winter like any other time. You may need to leave the choke on a bit longer, and longer warmup times are prudent. If your engine is hard to start, it probably needs to be jetted richer. A lower weight, multi-viscosity oil will help protect those vital internals in the cold too.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

least amount of choke applied where you still have good response and it doesnt stall or bog when you rev it a bit in neutral = best mixture for air/fuel right, correct me if im wrong.

nehow

in around 40degrees F i need to have the choke it about 1/2 for 5 minutes until the engine block is warm. i just drive it with the choke on cuz the oil (pure polaris 0w40) is supposed to be good for as cold as -50F i think

is this the right jetting or should i make the jetting richer, if so, how, should i turn the pilot screw? which way make the jetting richer on the pilot screw, rightytighty or leftyloosy?

or do i have to adjust the main jet cuz i dont know if thats possible on my carb. i have a keihin PTG 23 or keihin 23 PTG, i dont know what order the name is in, but its one of those two.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

with my king, i just choke it once it starts up i let it run on choke for about 20 seconds
then i slowly back it down to no choke... it runs fine then lol

I have a Johndeere 345 with a 585 CC kawasaki Vtwin, and i just put it on choke, as soon as its starts i can only have the choke on for maybe 7 second befor is starts sputtering then i have to put it to normal and its fine. all i do after that is let it run for a few till it warms up.

damn that thing i was going right thrue 4 foot snow drifts 2 years ago!

for me i think snowblower is the way to go it you have a powerfull enough tractor.
i can get my 375 foot drivway with 80X80 parking lot done faster then my naighbor can with his truck, and he only has a 110 foot drivway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

the cold is really hard on your battery... If it's dead, don't ever try to charge it after it's been sitting out in the cold, you should always warm it up to at least 50 degrees F.

That being said, my Kodiak always has started well in the winter. The 02 Griz was a lil more challenging. A hard starting quad in the cold can sometimes be attributed to your valves needing to be adjusted. They tend to stick more when they're cold. My 02 Griz was a bear (no pun intended) to start last winter. I took it in for a quick valve adjustment, and she was starting right up again... Even in -15 degrees with windchill... If your choke isn't helping on the startup when it's cold... Your valves should be one of the first things to check.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hebs
the cold is really hard on your battery... If it's dead, don't ever try to charge it after it's been sitting out in the cold, you should always warm it up to at least 50 degrees F.

That being said, my Kodiak always has started well in the winter. The 02 Griz was a lil more challenging. A hard starting quad in the cold can sometimes be attributed to your valves needing to be adjusted. They tend to stick more when they're cold. My 02 Griz was a bear (no pun intended) to start last winter. I took it in for a quick valve adjustment, and she was starting right up again... Even in -15 degrees with windchill... If your choke isn't helping on the startup when it's cold... Your valves should be one of the first things to check.
so you mean just take your battery in the house b4 you charge it, cuz i dont think anyone would sit there with a hairdryer or a heat gun, heating up their battery

Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

I sure hope no one is dumb enough to heat up a battery like that. A battery should be warmed up to room temp.(slowly) because charging a battery causes heat, and when it heats up, the plastic case could crack causing an acid leak....not good.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dwags
i have no choke and race on the ice and it was -10 here plus some wind and it was hella hard to start my 12:1 piston, once it warmed up all was just fine
I was joking a little there, as I too have no choke. I usually pump the throttle 2 or 3 times before starting her cold, a bit more during the winter.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
What if there is no choke???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
starting fluid......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do we start our quads in winter?