Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor help quick

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor help quick

So I'm supposed to go riding in a couple of hours so I go out to warm up the quads(havn't been started in a month or so). Check the oil, give it a little choke and she fires right up and runs as normal then after about a minute I go to back the choke off a little and it quit. Now it won't start at all with or without the choke. Before you ask I checked all the stupid stuff, fuel is turned on, just filled it up before I started it, didn't accidently touch the kill switch, etc. Anyone have any ideas, I don't wanna run the battery down trying to get it to fire.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:14 AM
Range Rover

I went out and gave it a little shot of ether and it fired right up but then quit again. So I assume it's not getting fuel, so where do I start. I pulled the line on the bottom of the tank to make sure the petcock on the tank was working and it poured fuel just fine. Any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Look for an intake leak. One of the carbs may have poped off the intake.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

I would clean both carbs out since you haven't ridden it for a little while the gas will build up junk in the carb and the jets will get clogged causing you to not get gas...is it atleast getting spark and cranking over...get back to me thanks

Old 10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Range Rover

Yes it is getting spark because it will fire if I let it set for a little while but it just runs for thirty seconds or so then quits and won't start again for a while. I got a feeling it's in the carbs also, they have never been cleaned because I have this huge fear that if I take them apart they will never work again so I'll probably have to get it into the shop. I do all my work myself but I am not familiar with carbs and there are a bunch of little pieces.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

Just spay some carb cleaner inbetween the jug and the reeds. If it comes to it do not be afraid to take those carbs apart to clean them out. Its simple once you get used to it. I just got my Banshee and was a little sketchy about taking them apart but its not a problem and if there is something I cant fix then I will just give them someone eho knows a little more about Banshee carbs but I Know it will not come to that.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

he has a raptor not a 2 stroke so he wouldn't have reeds only 2 strokes have reed valves...Its simple though if you need help just ask all you have to do is since you seem to be runnign fine with the settings you have but it seems like the jets are clogged then count the turns that it takes for you to turn the screw as tight as it will go and label the carb and how much the slow jet and how much the main jet took to turn them in then when you cleaned the jets and can see light through the holes turn the screw all the way in and back the screws out however much your number's were...I would clean out the bowl of the carb also incase there is buildup on it...all of the jets are located at the bottom of the carb good luck any help let us know as it will cost alot of money for the shop to do it...Think of it this way it doesn't work now so what is there to lose.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

I am completely dumb when it comes to carbs. What do you mean by count the turns on the screw? Is there a screw at the bottom of the jets that I will turn to raise or lower them or something. I have decide to try this myself so I got my Clymer manual out and was reading about cleaning the carbs and I was going to completely disassemble them. Do I not need to do this? Thanks