Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 660 Airbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 PM
SBW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 660 Airbox

Has anyone seen or have a method to keep you Raptor from sucking in water? This year has been pretty wet, lots of mud and water on the trail. My Raptor has sucked up some water at some point on my last ride and I can see two muddy water tracks past my K&N filter up into the carbs (bad thing) Had a good seal on the filter to the airbox, but it looks like the water ran right through the filter. What do you think new filter or different snorkle / airbox, outerwear? I love K&N's on my cars but I am not so sold on K&N as my quad's filter now.

I really do not want to idle around every water hole from now on, what fun is that... Any and all ideas welcome.

By the way this has a stock airbox for those who can't read minds.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

Are you still using the airbox lid?

I was at a motocross track full of puddles last weekend. My K&N Outerwear kept water from getting to the filter and I don't run a lid and I was jumping into and through puddles. One was a third gear step-on at about 40 feet. I think the Outerwear is the key for you. I would also double check all your intake boot connections at the airbox and carbs. And check the water drain plug on the bottom of the airbox to make sure that is on tight.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
SBW
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I do still run the stock lid. I did not check any of the intake boot connections. But the water trail started at the begining of the snorkle inlet and down into the airbox. The drain plug was on tight, and was caked with mud when I removed it.

I was hitting some shallow water at high speed all day, it did sputter once but then stepped right back up. I did not think anything about it at the time. The reason I am so concerned about this now is my cylinder is at this time getting punched out because it looks like someone ran 80 grit sandpaper all over it and it started to burn oil like it was free. When your friends refuse to ride behind you because of the smoke trail it's time to get it fixed.

Thanks for the input Raptor 149

Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

My engine builder told me the same thing: It looked like someone rubbed sand paper on the intake side of my cylinder. I don't know that it was my K&N filter. Some people say they let more air pass, and so let dust and dirt through as well. I think it was my filter cleaning regimen. I now thoroughly clean and re-oil my airfilter after every ride.

Also, the first three years I had the machine I had the stock airbox/lid configuration, which as you know, doesn't always seal perfectly. I suggest you switch to the Pro-Flow clamp on style filter. It gives you a more solid seal between the filter and the airbox. You can still run the stock lid with this setup without affecting jetting, but you will have to mod the airbox lid slightly to provide clearance for the new setup.

And buy a $10 Outerwear!

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
SBW
Weekend Warrior

Yea, the $10 outerwear is cheap compared to a rebuild. The airbox on the Raptor is a bit of a pain compared to anything else I have seen. You really need to check that the filter stayed in place after the 5 minute cage match with the lid. Once again good ideas.

I will look at the Pro-Flow filter as well.

Thanks