Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

water in diffs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in diffs

hey fellas.i have a 03 grizzly. since new this thing has taken on water in the diffs. front and rear. but the front one worse. since new. ive had a new diff in the rear and front. and the same thing. ive got two spares on the shelf. ive resealed them and same thing. this thing does get ridden very hard. and bogged alot. but two new diffs front and rear. resealed two of them. and still they take on water. the vents are fine. everything appears sealed well. but its taking it in past the cv shaft seals. im guessing. ive checked this till im blue in the face. when i ride in water or mudding alot. i always have to change the fluid both front and rear. its become habbit. so is there anyone else out there with a grizz that mudds and gets in alot of water? and do u have this problem. so far ive found no way to fix this. reseal.. checking vent tubes. tubes are hi enough. just wondered if others are getting this too. even right after i put the brand new diffs in. went bogging. and yes there it was. nasty water.. and that was with brand new diffs. any info would be great... thanks so much[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default water in diffs

Since you have spares, here is what I would do.
Take your spare and put it in a tub of water. Take an air line and hook it up to the vent line. Set the air pressure maybe somewhere around 2 or 3 PSI and put the air to it.
See the bubbles? That is where your problems lies.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default water in diffs

very good reply. i like that. i got spare cv ends. i can put in there too. yes yes. im going to do this. i really think its the seals. but this will tell me. bravo captain. very good idea. i thank you.. i never thought of that one. guess im burnt out on it.. any how thanks again. and send some cali. weather this way...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]