ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   660 Raptor Vibration (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/257192-660-raptor-vibration.html)

Turtler 01-28-2007 12:08 PM

660 Raptor Vibration

Yeah, you can use your mig welder on it. I repaired the welds for the rear frame mounting brackets. I wound up throwing away the rear frame, ripped out mounting flanges for the exhaust, tubes cracked all the way through, rear grab bar bolts torn out, it was a mess.

Be careful on your settings, I blew through twice by the time I fixed all the cracks.

MasterRaptor 01-28-2007 03:48 PM

660 Raptor Vibration

Thanks Turtler. I will start out with everything on low. The tubes look pretty thin.

Every raptor and even YFZs loose the rear grab bar bolts. End up using thru bolts and nuts.

Turtler 01-29-2007 09:35 PM

660 Raptor Vibration

I contacted the yamaha service center and asked them for a material description and wall thickesses of selected frame members. They came back and said the information was proprietary and that I should just buy a new frame. So much for customer service.

They sure have their nerve, I am sick of yamaha's sh... attitude about their design flaws.

MasterRaptor 01-30-2007 10:50 AM

660 Raptor Vibration

I hear ya. Till now, the only thing I haven't touched on this Raptor has been the frame. This bike is littered with design flaws. After everything I have done to it, it's still way better than anything you can buy new. So, I am stuck.

RayneSavage 02-10-2007 01:40 AM

660 Raptor Vibration

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
Holy Raptor Structure failure! The weld is fractured just behind the right foot peg. It's the main weld going from the base frame to the upper frame. Cracked all the way around. Thanks RayneSavage!

I see other cracks as well. The sub frame tabs connecting the main frame so far. Wow. Never thought to look for this.
Don't mention it....just helpin' out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I guess there's something about that corner of the frame that just weakens with hard riding. I just stripped my Raptor down to the frame, and had a friend weld in some gussets at all the stress points.....been going strong so far...(knock on wood)..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MasterRaptor 02-12-2007 02:26 PM

660 Raptor Vibration

I found another crack in the frame. Upper motormount, right side, just aft of the motor mount support weld. It was helical crack all the way around with a .100" gap. There was 1/4 of material left. This was the bad one.

Welding up this crack really mitigated the vibration. Although, I can still feel some. I did not have my crank balanced when I replaced the rod and piston. Maybe I should have.

I think gussets is a good idea. This is really a whimpy frame. There are areas where the paint is gone at high stress areas. I bet these are areas for future cracks.