Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 Raptor Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 Raptor Vibration

I have a vibration in my Raptor engine. It's worse with RPM. It rattled the motor mount bolts loose which made the problem worse. After tightening, I can still feel that something is not right. What should I check?

My Oneway is just now starting to act up after 6 years. Could this be it?

There are no knocks or unusual motor noise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Might pay to check the counter balancer, on the clutch side, remove clutch cover to inspect. My 727 had the same symptons and this was the problem, the keyway was broken[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Was it just a matter of replacing the keyway? Or, was it a big deal?

Thanks! I will check it out.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I just replaced the keyway, also cleaned the tapered surfaces with fine emery tape and then cleaned off with solvent, reinstalled balancer with new key and bolt(used loctite as well) and then tensioned up. This was about 6 months ago and she has been going good since, about 35hrs of dune riding. I had the same symptoms as you Master and I thought it was a problem with my one way, after removing flywheel etc all was good , so then I checked the valvetrain and same thing all good, so I thought maybe a problem with my clutch basket and then I noticed the balancer loose. Not sure why this happened, I am thinking the shop that built my bottom end may of not tensioned the bolt? I had no unusual noises from the motor and only a slight vibration but it did crack my upper engine mount. Let us know what you find.

Gav

Old 01-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a locking tab washer behind the nut for the gear raptorgav? There should have been and they should not be reused. Always replace the washer if you loosen or take off that nut.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

Forgot to metion the lock tab, I replaced that as well, good advice sissixt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I had the lower end built about a year ago. This could be it!

Hopefully, I will get a chance this week to take the cover off and check it out.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

How hard do you ride your Raptor??? The reason I ask.....

Believe it or not....I developed the same type of vibration during a race last year. I kept wondering why my Motor Mount bolts kept working their way loose. A fellow racer told me to inspect the frame for a fracture or crack.

Sure enough....it turned out the frame was broken behind the right footpeg. I lined the frame back up, welded it, and the vibration went away.

I'm not saying this is the definite problem..... just wanting to throw you another possibility...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Never thought of that. That is a high possiblity. This frame has been tortured.

Thanks!!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Holy Raptor Structure failure! The weld is fractured just behind the right foot peg. It's the main weld going from the base frame to the upper frame. Cracked all the way around. Thanks RayneSavage!

I see other cracks as well. The sub frame tabs connecting the main frame so far. Wow. Never thought to look for this.

Is the raptor frame just carbon steel? Can I just use my MIG welder to fix?

Quick Reply: 660 Raptor Vibration