Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Do you have a problem starting the 700fi when its cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have a problem starting the 700fi when its cold

I really think there is more to it than needing light oil and a battery charger to start the dam thing. Any other Yamaha Ute like my Kodiak 450 has no problems.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: squeege
I really think there is more to it than needing light oil and a battery charger to start the dam thing. Any other Yamaha Ute like my Kodiak 450 has no problems.
its a start.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

They be on to something with battery thing. It takes allot of juice to turn them over when the temps dip. It also take a certain amount of juice to opp. the fuel injection. If it were mine. I would put synth. oil in and make sure the battery is fully juiced.Hopefully that helps the issue.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

sorry, JLsparky7 you may be on to something....who knows at this point

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

Another friend claims that Atv mfgrs, with auto drive trans, use and sensor that can tell if oil is being
picked up when the start button is pushed. In cold weather the oil is cold in the bottom of the pan
and doesn't flow good. The sensor sees no pick up and will not start the engine. The thinner oil like
Amsoil, and the Yamaha cold weather version make for easier starting. If you are having a problem
drain out the 2 or 2 1/2 qts, leave the filter on and pour in some thinner oil. Its a cheap fix, and
settles out a lot of frustration.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: squeege
sorry, JLsparky7 you may be on to something....who knows at this point
No biggy. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Update us if you find out what the problem is so we can let others know.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow i thought i was the only one having trouble with starting my grizzly 700. Except for my grizzly 700 fouls up the plug and when trying to start in the morning i to have to give it just a little bit of gas to start the bike. If anyone does find out what the heck is going on with these grizzlies, please let me in on the info.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bullseye316
wow i thought i was the only one having trouble with starting my grizzly 700. Except for my grizzly 700 fouls up the plug and when trying to start in the morning i to have to give it just a little bit of gas to start the bike. If anyone does find out what the heck is going on with these grizzlies, please let me in on the info.
Your plugs might be fowling because you are giving it gas, so dont think that is your problem right away.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
Originally posted by: DesertViper
Mine won't start if its left outside overnight at temperatures less than 10 degrees. If I keep it in my garage it starts and runs fine, even at very cold temperatures (-19 is the coldest it has been in yet). There is no popping or stalling once it is running at low temperatures, it just wont start to begin with. And I mean it absolutely will not start, not that it is just difficult to start.

DV
Give amsoil 0w40 a shot, If that doesnt work then hook it up to the battery charger when you try to start it.
I plan on changing to a cold weather synthetic, but probably Mobil 1, just because it is easier to find. The strange part about this is that motor oil viscosity does not prevent me from starting my other toys in the exact same conditions. I have kick started my YZ 450F in sub zero weather, and the YFZ 450 starts just fine no matter how cold it is. I just pull the choke out, and give it full throttle one time to get the accelerator pump in the carb to give it a squirt of fuel. Then I let off the gas and push the starter button, and it starts the first crank. Four previous carburated Grizzly 660s and two previous carburated Kodiak 450s also started on the first crank no matter how cold it was. And my Jeep still has 20/50 synthetic in the crankcase from last summer, and it started instantly at -9 degrees this morning when I drove it to work.

Oil viscosity is not the underlying problem with the Grizzly. It may contribute to the problem, and it may make the difference between starting and not starting in some cases. Oil viscosity wasn't the problem on any of the other Yamaha's I have owned. They started, but the Grizzly 700 doesn't, and I really think the underlying problem is a poorly tuned fuel injection system. I thought one of the selling features of fuel injection was that it made for instant starting in any conditions.

Are Yamaha's snowmobiles fuel injected? If they are, then why didn't Yamaha base the Grizzly's fuel injection off of them, instead of off of their street bikes. I don't know of too many street bikes that get ridden at -10 degrees.

DV

Old 01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

I agree with you Desert Viper about the oil probably not being the whole problem. I also agree with you choosing a synthetic oil. I just hope that you're planning to use a motorcycle/atv synthetic. Manny people don't realize that there is still a clutch on belt drives whitch won't like an energy concerving automotive synthetic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Do you have a problem starting the 700fi when its cold