Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

660 raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 660 raptor

my friend has a 660 ,
an is having a problem with it the bike will start an then stall ,then can't get it started ,it starts with a jump box ,run a bit then kill out again an hie clutch seems to lossen up when he rides. he has to stop an adjust the top cable , can this be fixed with adjusing the clutch by way of cap on side of engine , he did replace the cable it help for a little while ,or does he need a new cluth,
thanks for any info

Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 raptor

Im not tryin to be a d!ck or anything, but try and find more specifics on what is going on with it. Like if he has to give it throttle for it to stall, or what kind of noises it may make, if it backfires at all. Those kind of things.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Range Rover
Default 660 raptor

if the bike starts h'ell ride it a short distance an then it will stall. He'll try to start it but doesn't he'll grab his jump box put on battery crank an start, ride a short distance an stall again ,can't seem to keep it running for any lenght of time, this is best description i can give .
know for the clutch before he had the problem with the stalling we where out riding an he had to stop cause he had no feeling in the clutch when he'd pull in the lever, so he adjust by way of the top adjuster ,later that day we changed the cable it seemed ok till we went riding a few day later,an the same thing happened with the clutch, i know he has never done any thing to it other then what i have said ,i was wondering if tring to adjust the clutch by way of the center cap on the engine would be a better way of doing the adjustment. i hope this is a better way of expailing what is going on
thanks

Old 01-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default 660 raptor

If he has to start the bike with a jumper though, this really does sound like the stator is going bad and it is not producing a spark. If the battery is dying also, then the stator is not charging it. If anyone here knows how to test a stator then let this man know. It sounds to me like the stator is going bad.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 660 raptor

This sounds just like what happened to my raptor. A way to see if it is the stator is to unplug it and see if it starts fine with the battery. When started with the battery it will go dead after a few minutes but this is just a way to check. I took mine down to one of our more advanced yamaha dealerships and they put it on thier computers and confirmed that the stator went out. It is cheaper buying a a stator off ebay or from "ricky stator" than buying it direct from yamaha. Hopefully this helped.