Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 Winch?

Originally posted by: miassmaro98
Originally posted by: jarmoore
Originally posted by: miassmaro98
can u show me pics of the winch mounted?
Note that the top fairlead is not rusted, I accidentally blasted off the chrome with my pressure washer. Also, you can see where I had to cut into the radiator fin plastic. It can fit without cutting but puts a ton of stress on the body.

Winch1
Winch2
Winch3
Winch4
i dont like the fact you can see the wires running into the winch
What were you expecting?

Old 03-16-2007, 03:46 AM
Trailblazer

see i custonized mine to fit last year when i bought it there wasnt a mounting plate for the wolvys. In my opinion i think its too low dowh there. i mounted mine in the middle of the bumper and got rid of most of the rad cover. as you can see in the pics(click on the cam) my skid is cracked right were the winch would be if i used the plate just seems if you hit something it can also damage the winch. it just my .02 cents hth Anthony

Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Yamahaman06
see i custonized mine to fit last year when i bought it there wasnt a mounting plate for the wolvys. In my opinion i think its too low dowh there. i mounted mine in the middle of the bumper and got rid of most of the rad cover. as you can see in the pics(click on the cam) my skid is cracked right were the winch would be if i used the plate just seems if you hit something it can also damage the winch. it just my .02 cents hth Anthony
The only problem with that is the radiator fins. Mounting it up that high blocks air flow to the radiator. The ideal solution would be to just get a metal front skid plate.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

I thought about mounting mine up that high but didnt want to block the radiator. the roller fairlead has hurt my approch angle but as soon as i switch to rope and get the hawse fairlead that problem should go away. btw i installed the remote plug in for the winch in that plastic piece in front of the raditator out of the way..

Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

I put a 2500 warn on mine 2 months ago and tryed it just to see if it worked,i might be taking it off soon though to put the wolvy on a diet,it wont get stuck in anything i ride through

Old 03-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i thought of cooling issues with it there but all last summer in 90-95 degree weater the fan only kicked on once when i was sitting ideling for a hour(just got it running after hydrolocking it). winch wolvy i PM you a while back with some questions about your rims and tire did you get it.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer

heres my 2 cents guys... I bought a 2500lbs gorilla winch last year and it still works like new.. i believe it was 120$ bucks... Also,,, I mounted mine on the rear rack,,,where it would be up high... Its not fun to dig your winch outta mud,, as some of these winches are sure mounted pretty low on the front Ive seen..think about it! and make sure its alteast waterproof or some sort of sealed motor. cause that low on the front end its gonna be getting sprayed with mud and water all the time ,or submerged when riding thru a shallow stream. Everytime when Ive gotten stuck, my front end has been buried up to the headlights.. and the best way to be pulled out is the way you came in!! But its your winch!!! be sure to bring a shovel so you can dig your front end out so you can get to your winch when u do get stuck!! I dont see why people mount them so low on the front..

mark

Old 03-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

well maybe because we cant mount them up high on the new wolverines

Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

the 07 are the same as the 06.. but its kinda the type of ridin you do too. I do alot of mud bogging, and riding thru small ponds and swamps where water is almost over the seat. All winches, sealed motors or not,, get mud and water in them over time. The gorilla makes a waterproof winch they say,, and it still has the same 6 month warranty as the non waterproof one.. but whats a laugh is in little fine print.. the warranty doesnt cover mud and water damage!! I like my rear mounted winch.. up high, outta all the mud and water (the rear rack is strong) . I keep it under plastic to keep what water and mud does fly up off. Also I keep another 25 foot tow strap, also a 5 foot strap,, and a ******-block.. I have learned I can winch myself in any direction using a ****** block and extra tow straps. you should always have extra straps, and a ****** block with your winch..I only use my winch in emergencies and i want it too be shielded from mud and water the rest of the time its not being used. I hear even the popular warn winches fail after time due to mud and water (they come with sealed motors and gears) ... theres alot to think about when it comes to a winch...

mark

Old 03-16-2007, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Yamahaman06
yeah i thought of cooling issues with it there but all last summer in 90-95 degree weater the fan only kicked on once when i was sitting ideling for a hour(just got it running after hydrolocking it). winch wolvy i PM you a while back with some questions about your rims and tire did you get it.
Havent been on here in a while and it never let me know of the message,but i looked and its there

Quick Reply: Wolverine 450 Winch?