Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2007 big bear

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 big bear

What is a good price out the door? What is mpg like? Is fast? How are they holding up?

Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

I paid 4899 out the door for mine. Just got it this past saturday. It's definately not fast. ~43 - 45 tops and that really screaming the engine. The rear IRS rides really smooth and works great in deep ruts. Don't know exact gas milage but I've put 27 miles on it and still on the first tank. Hope this helps.

Jake

Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer
Default 2007 big bear

Wow, my dealer wants $5,899 OTD and quoted me $400 for a 2 year warranty. Is the warranty in line with what you paid? Did you buy out of state or did your price include taxes? My quoted price was for the 2007 IRS Big Bear in camo, but it sounds like it shouldn't have been that high. I am seriously considering this atv versus the 2007 Rancher 420FM. I have weighed the pros and cons (IRS vs. not, 420 vs. 386?, diff. lock vs. not, liquid cooled vs. air, fuel inj. vs. carb., handling, front bumper, winch, etc.) and I keep leaning towards the Honda. I think for the trails I drive the Honda will be more sporty, but I always think, "What if I get out of my element and need diff. lock or IRS?" I don't know?! It's so freakin tough to decide. This is just my opinion and any advice would be great. I could list a million more differences that are not so important like speedometer vs. not; you get the idea. Anyway, did you think about the Rancher before your purchase? Is there anything I am not thinking about? What made you decide on the Big Bear? I just joined this forum last month and am overwhelmed at the personal advice and technical guidance provided in such a short time due to people like you on this site. Thanks everyone!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

Well I did thing long and hard about getting the rancher FM. I bought my bike out of state so you can add on a few hundred for the taxes that i'll have to pay sooner or later. I also got a blue bike instead of the camo. The camo was 5100 and I was going to get that until I saw one. The grizz looks nice in camo but I can't say the same about the Big Bear. Today I went riding a bit in a swampy area where I was in water and climbing over some logs and the Diff lock was acting up on me. Almost got myself stuck twice when I know i would have come right out if I would have had 4 wheel drive vs. 3 wheels spinning. I called the dealer and I was told that Yamaha suggest stopping the bike, pushing the diff lock button, turning the bars all the way to the left and then all the way to the right and it should lock in. After I got off the phone I went try that technique out and it worked about 4 times out of 20 tries. I only have about 40 miles on the bike so I'm going to give it a bit more time to break in before I take it back. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to update my feelings about the bike. The reason I bought a yamaha was b/c of all the features it had over the rancher, but when some of them don't work properly well then I regret not buying a HONDA.

Jake

Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

I purchased my 2006 big bear for 5199 + 69 for a 2yr warranty and a warn 2500 winch. All together out the door was around 5800. I know all the differences between the 07 and the 06 but i opted for it bc of the solid rear axle and alot more available parts bc they are nearly unchanged from 2001-2006. I also read forums for hours and drove numerous hondas and other brand atv's as well. The big bear is relatively light and an extremely powerful atv (due to its very low 1st gear and overall low gearing). It is also slow, but will gain a few miles an hour after about 20hrs of riding or so (45 at first, and runs 50 or so at WOT now after being broken in). The frame and plastics on the Big Bear are rather open, making it much easier to clean and work on. I have owned my big bear for about 7 months now and have nearly 800 miles on it. If i were to rate the abuse level i have given it from 1-10, it would have to be 9.5 or higher. Regretfully i didnt take the time to break it in, but i have had no failed parts or any problems other than broken plastics and i have had to reweld my front bumper back 2 times and straighten my front rack after rolling it . The people i ride with regularly own 2 big bears, a 2003 and a 2005 and they beat theirs to death as well. The 2003 already has over 13k miles on it and has been sunk countless times and has even had the front axles ripped out as well as broken tie rods. I would say that they hold together extremely well considering the abuse they receive. I have pictures of both my four wheelers and theirs. In fact the first time i sank my new one it only had 275 miles on it. I'm telling you that the big bear is a beast over any equal sized utility bike. I have pulled out many more hondas and other brands atv's and even a few four wheel drive vehicles. Go with the big bear, preferably an 06 model if you can find one. trust me it won't let you down. The irs is not that great and if anything its more moving parts to break. Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2007 big bear

Originally posted by: Jake795
Well I did thing long and hard about getting the rancher FM. I bought my bike out of state so you can add on a few hundred for the taxes that i'll have to pay sooner or later. I also got a blue bike instead of the camo. The camo was 5100 and I was going to get that until I saw one. The grizz looks nice in camo but I can't say the same about the Big Bear. Today I went riding a bit in a swampy area where I was in water and climbing over some logs and the Diff lock was acting up on me. Almost got myself stuck twice when I know i would have come right out if I would have had 4 wheel drive vs. 3 wheels spinning. I called the dealer and I was told that Yamaha suggest stopping the bike, pushing the diff lock button, turning the bars all the way to the left and then all the way to the right and it should lock in. After I got off the phone I went try that technique out and it worked about 4 times out of 20 tries. I only have about 40 miles on the bike so I'm going to give it a bit more time to break in before I take it back. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to update my feelings about the bike. The reason I bought a yamaha was b/c of all the features it had over the rancher, but when some of them don't work properly well then I regret not buying a HONDA.

Jake
What Exactly was the problem with the diff lock? Never heard anybody else complain about Yamaha's superior Diff lock system before.........By the way honda has NO diff-lock

Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

The problem with the diff lock is that it's not engaging. The light will come on but the wheels won't lock in.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

Is it only when you are stuck that you try to engage the diff lock? If so consider engaging it before hitting the rough stuff because sometimes the wheels need a full revolution or so for it to "click" into locked mode. and i dont mean spinning the wheels while you are stuck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] goodluck with it. I love the big bear's and wouldnt trade it for anything. (btw i know that mine is a 2006, but my brother bought the 2007 and he has had no problems with the diff lock other than it taking a second to engage).

Old 02-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 big bear

I think mine may be defective. I tried it out in my yard after getting stuck and it only worked about 4 times out of 20 tries.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2007 big bear

MY UNK just bought one a 2 week's back first gear wasnt even usable unless you was gonna pull a mobile home or something way to low even for a 4wd but it deff isnt lacking bottom end juice but lack's on top when compared to larger big bore's.But either way it's a awesome atv he paid 5,100 otd....

Quick Reply: 2007 big bear