Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dial a jet? should I? Wolverine 450

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dial a jet? should I? Wolverine 450

I am thinking about getting a dial a jet and was wondering about a couple of things.

I am going to add a GYTR pipe and Dynojet kit(sitting in the garage waiting for the pipe). I was wondering if the dial a jet is compatible with the dynojet kit.

What I am thinking is get it tuned right with the dynojet kit and then use the dial a jet to fine tune when I have elevation changes and so on.

Plus do I need to get the snorkel kit for the dial a jet?

And is there really any HP gain with the dial a jet?

Thanks for all your opinions.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHATS A DIAL A JET

Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

When and where did you order your exhaust? Im curious because they are on back order. Wondering if they got some in. Thanks!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

While I think the dial a jet would function.
I think you would be running way too rich with both.

They are basically doing the same thing, adding more fuel but at different locations of the intake.

The dyno jet is set to deliver a set amount of fuel. Metered by the size of the orifice you choose.
The dial a jet delivers fuel depending on vacuum created by the ammount of air flowing into the carb.
The injection point is usually in the carb boot between the air filter and carb,so your adding fuel to the intake air before it ever gets to the carb.
If I remember, the instructions said you may even need to go down in size from stock jet size to get max performance from the dial a jet. Also, it will NOT work without your airbox lid. it needs some resistance to create vacuum. A couple of 1" holes in the lid are ok though.
Dial a jet is ajustable by increasing or decreasing airflow through a small tube. The end of the tube is protected by the snorkle kit.
With out it you would essentially be by passing the air filter, sucking dirt with the fuel. My guess is the dial a jet would clog up and quit working long before engine damage could occur. Either way, it needs to be there.

I ran dual dial a jets on my 660 raptor for 6 years with no failures or problems. With a pro flo filter & yoshi exhaust it had as much H.P as any piped 660 with a jet kit.

As far as tuning for elevation, remember that you need to run leaner, less fuel since there is less oxygen to mix with. The magic of Dial a jet is, the higher you go the thinner the air so vacuum decreases. so you automatically go leaner.

It ran great anywhere from 4000 ft up to 9000 feet. I could notice a difference at 9000 ft but it ran ok as high as 11,000 feet,
( Piute trail by Richfield UT has some passes that high). The jetted atv's that were set for 4500 ft would barely run up above about 8000 ft.

If I still had a carborated atv I would go dial a jet again.

You can look at the instructions on line at the dial a jet site.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

So would you recommend going with the dial a jet over the dynojet kit?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 AM
DS2
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ctateusa1
I am thinking about getting a dial a jet and was wondering about a couple of things.

I am going to add a GYTR pipe and Dynojet kit(sitting in the garage waiting for the pipe). I was wondering if the dial a jet is compatible with the dynojet kit.

What I am thinking is get it tuned right with the dynojet kit and then use the dial a jet to fine tune when I have elevation changes and so on.

Plus do I need to get the snorkel kit for the dial a jet?

And is there really any HP gain with the dial a jet?

Thanks for all your opinions.

Yes, the dial-a-jet and dynojet work together. I'm looking into getting one and from my understanding, you need to have your jetting correct before you install the dial-a-jet. If this is true, I agree with you...add the pipe and rejet until it's correct. Then, install the dial-a-jet kit, because they want you to go down 2 sizes on your main and the kit will compensate based on the dial's position which you determine. I have heard mixed reviews about the product, but I plan on trying it myself. I don't know if the bad reviews were due to bad installations, etc.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

The tech guy at dial-a-jet told me when I called up that I should not use the dynojet kit if I was going to use the dial-a-jet, because I will run lean stock with the pipe and filter, so Dynojet wants me to go up 2 sizes on the main jet

The tech at dial-a-jet said if I am going to do a pipe and filter to not change my jetting from stock and just install the dial a jet kit to start off with.

I am just on the fence with what I want to do either sell the dynojet kit and spend the extra $50.00 to get the dial-a-jet and snorkel kit.
Or just keep the $50.00 and do my dynojet kit.

So what I was looking for is someone with experience with the dialajet to let me know if it really helped or not.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: miassmaro98
WHATS A DIAL A JET
here you go, you can read all about it pricing and hereintro into dial a jet

Old 03-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

wait, so whats the deal with this dial a jet? should it be used with a dynojet jet kit or should it be used in place of it?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

The way I understand it you should use it inplace of the Dynojet kit, but I have not talked to anyone in person that has ever used a dialajet to find out how much better it is compared to the dynojet kit.

Quick Reply: Dial a jet? should I? Wolverine 450