Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any Good Offroading Stories To Tell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Good Offroading Stories To Tell?

Dont yall get tired of the "fix it" questions. How about some good stories? Heres One: I was riding my Warrior one day with my friend who was on a Raptor 660. This was a couple of years back when the Raptor first came out. He had just gotten it out of the shop after getting some engine mods done. We stopped on the trail and he asked me " you oughta ride this for a minute, man, its right!" After twisting my arm for a while( cause I have bad luck on other people's bikes) I hopped on it, fired it up and took off. After riding it for about 5 minutes, I smelled gas and it started spitting and sputtering. Then all of a sudden - WHHOOOOFFF! - The whole engine caught on fire as well as my boots and pant legs![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I jumped off the bike, stopped, dropped and rolled around on the ground, and tried to throw dirt on the bike to put out the fire, but it was already totally engulfed in flames. My friends had split off on another path before they got to where I was, so they didnt know all this was going on. I started to run thru the woods to try and catch them. They realized we had gotten split up so they circled back around to find me when they came across the burning Raptor. They thought I was still on it and dead because the flames were so high you couldnt see what was happening. One guy pannicked and took off up the road to call the paramedics on someones house phone. I finally caught up to another friend that had a cell phone and called the fire department. The Raptor burned so bad there was nothing left but the head pipe! Even the engine cases melted into a big block of aluminum! The fire department came and put out the fire, but not after the fire burned up an acre of woods. And they had to cut down trees to get the forestry trucks in there to put it out. It was a hell of a ride that day!

Old 03-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Damn raptors. lol. One time I was riding and i got my *** handed to me by a kfx(no surprise). After the upgrades it will hopefully be rverse.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

Mine is not as good as yours but here it is.

This last weekend the 6 or 7ft of snow was starting to melt at my buddies house in a new sub division. So we dug out his 2001 Honda TRX300 4x4. We pumped up its deflated tires and took a shovel with us and headed off. To get out we nedded to go on the road into a public pathway that leads into the trails. The path at first was nice and then we went down this really step hill and lost controll and rolled the quad down the hill along with me and him doubling on it. So we were fine and the quad was fine so we rolled back on its wheels and kept going. But when we rolled down the hill we tore it all to crap and we could not make it back up. So, off we went down the snowmobile packed trail. About 3 or 4kms later of whoops or sand washes in the snow, we had to go across 3 or 400ft of untreaded snow that was past the handle bars to get where we were going. So after an hour or so of pushing, pulling, and shoveling we got back onto a packed trail. We blasted up a couple of hills hit some small jumps and snow driffted in a really well packed clearding for another hour or two. Then my friend Jason remebered that his friend that live about 20 or so KM from where we were called and told us to come over to go sleding with them. So, from the trail we were on we had to go into the biggest baddest hills that we had that were packed. After another hour of climbing hills we come to the vere top of our climb. Now ushally there is a trail that runs beside the highway that you can ride on but, the banks were to high and we had to ride off the bank and up the road in 5th gear pinned till the trail opened up again. So, we got back onto the trail and then we were at the dump. There is a big shoulder from the dump to the lights to turn to his friends house. So, we fallowed that till we hit the lights and rode the dithches for 10 or more KM. Then we turrned down the road to his friends place and we rode his friends trails till it started to look like a storm was coming in. So we headed back through the ditch and down the shoulder of the road but, the quad sputtered to a slowing stop. He we are sitting on the side of a road just waiting for a cop to give us the $700 fine for being there. After 20 or 30 kicks the motor comes to life. We book it down the shoulder of the road and into the dump and throught the trails with no problems. Mean while it is snowing so hard you can only see 3 or so feet in front of you and one we get to the part where there is no trail left we go onto the road once again. The quad dies down again and we kick it anothe hole bunch and it comes back to life again. Well the trail that we had to go onto was blocked by all the snow that was thrown off the road into the trail enterence by a plow truck. So, we made are way to the bottom of this hill on the road and came to a another opening to the trail that was no blocked. So, we make it all the way back to the public trail and it slipped both are minds that we could not climb the hill we dug up. So we headed back out the trail onto the opening we found and bookied it up the highway to his road and all the way back to his house on the roads. That $700 fine was looking to be almost there because of all the riding we had to do to get to his house. But we made it back to his place but just as we were pulling into the drive way the quad died and will not start to this day. Through out this hole thing his parents did not know that we even took the quad out because he was not allowed but safe to say it was a learning experionce.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

how about seeing some dude in a jeep get his hand stuck in his winch and get it wrapped around the spool ?
mark

Old 03-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

i've senn that video on tv several times before. not cool

Old 03-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Range Rover

That would suck.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

No one has anything else? Heres another good one: We have an old railroad bed that leads from our trails straight into town where all the eating places are. Six of us were riding one night and got the bright idea to hit up the Bojangle's drive thru on our 4 wheelers. They were more than happy to serve us, but the police were more than happy to tell us we needed to leave! Four cops showed up and tried to find something to write us a ticket for, but we didnt break any laws. Its not illegal to ride on the railroad and we only crossed two roads to get there, so we made off with a "warning" and a chicken biscuit!

Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

my friends all have 4x4 quads and i showed them up in the mud with my warrior going EVERYWHERE they did. i was impressed with its deep mud capabilities.

another time i hit a rock by accident and flew about 3 feet in the air. (mind you, this was an old honda CL100 streetbike with offroad tires) i landed on my side with the bike between my legs. my friend dropped his bike casue he thought i landed on a rock and died.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I only have 1 cool story and it was when I was up in nothern wisconsin a while ago. I was on my 350rap at the time and my friend and I were jumping in and out of this bowl that someone had made for like 20 minutes. then I decided I wanted to jump really far so I gave it a little more gas, and as im about to hit the lip I see like a 7 year old kid riding his little fifty about 5 feet away, infront of the jump. So i thought if I stopped i woud probably land on the front end and roll onto him, so I quickly shifted and pushed it to WOT in 4th gear I got more air than I have ever gotten and I jumped right over the kids head. My friend told me that it looked like my back tire might have nicked his helmet. That was definately my scariest moment while fourwheeling

Old 03-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

heres my story.

So it was last summer and we were going on our weekly ride to this place called the stonecrusher. we usually go on sundays wen there is noeone there to stop us but my riding buddy had to work on sunday so we went on sat. So it takes abut a good 45 minutes of riding through posted trails just to get to the entrance. so just as we were pulling up to the entrance we see that there are 5 securirty guards with rifles. as soon as they heard us they started shooting in the air. there was one dumb*** who decided to shoot in our direction and he nicked my brand new ( now sold) grizzly 660. As soon as he shot the quad we bolted out of there and since then i havent gone back.

Quick Reply: Any Good Offroading Stories To Tell?