Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, my banshee has only about 25 hours on it and it has problems. It seems as if it won't reach its powerband, it feels as its about to reach it, then loses all its horsepower. If I let it scream it still lags on power...and those of you who own banshees easily know when its in its powerband! Any help would be appreciated as I am fixing to take it to get checked by the dealer and don't want to be ripped off as I know very little about the two stroke engine at this point in time. Thanks!

01 400ex ac propeg nerfs, ac screen bumper, 14 tooth sproket, tcs shocks all around
01 banshee all stock at this point

Old 12-21-2000, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Richin up your jetting before you do damage. Make sure your air filter is clean and not over oiled.

Old 12-21-2000, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Why would there be jetting problems if nothing has been changed since I bought it stock? The air filter is very clean and has an adequate amount of oil - not too much.

Old 12-21-2000, 01:59 AM
Range Rover

Have the weather conditions changed? That can affect your jetting. What is your cylinder compression?

Old 12-21-2000, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

being stock it is ABSOLUTELY not the jetting, it IS 1 of these
1 air filter clean?
2 break it in properly?
3 mix gas right?
4 try draining the carb bowls (maybe dirt in needle and seat/but then the carb would drip)
5 reeds sticking open just a bit
6 change the sparkplugs after breaking it in (maybe a bit fouled after an easy breakin)

Old 12-21-2000, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

When you hit the gas, does it sound like it's sputtering? Almost like it wants to cut out? I had a problem with my parking brake sticking and it would not rev, it kept cutting out. Also you may want to check the TORS system it might be going bad. Well... good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

The Banshee starts on a dime as they usually do, revs nicely while in neutral and rolls nicely (parking brake not on). If I start off slowly everything appears to be normal, if i then punch it, thats when it kind of hiccupps and wants to die. If I accelerate smoothly, it just never gets to the powerband, it won't get to those higher RPMs. The mixture is correct, I'm not sure about the plugs though. It also seems to smoke just a little more than usual, but not much.
Thanks for all your replies so far!!!

Old 12-21-2000, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Take your throttle cover off and you will find an electric 'button' that the throttle contacts. When the throttle is pushed in slightly, the contact is broken and I bet this is when your engine sputters. I solved this same problem on mine by clamping on a 3-M connector on the wires to bypass this feature. Try it and you may save yourself some $$$
Addict

Old 12-21-2000, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

I'm sure this is not it but, it almost sounds like your choke is on. If you haven't already I would check that. Make sure that it is not sticking. I know I've driven mine with the choke on and fouled my plugs. Good luck.

Old 12-22-2000, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Hey man, I diddnt know ANYTHING at all about engines until I got my banshee and blew it up, since then Ive learned a ton, its totally easy, when the shee blew up it busted a rod, afterwards being bored I decided to tear it apart and actually see what was wrong, only took 45 minutes or so to tear it down, couple days later threw it back together with 1 piston and ran it for a minute or so, the point of my story is.. I diddnt have a clue, diddnt have a manual, tore it apart and put it back together 4-5 times or so, got pics of the engine sitting on my kitchen floor if interested, workin on them seems like peanuts after you actually do it... as long as there are no air leaks, it has good spark, and is getting gas shee'l run Just gotta mess with it a little, odds are its something dumb.....
definetly work on it yourself, youll save a TON, and when you brake down youll know how to fix it

Quick Reply: Banshee Problems!