Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior-plastic piece inside carb??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior-plastic piece inside carb??

I had a bad low rpm dead spot problem when I first bought this Warrior. I saw that it had a pipe and K&N and stuff and thought maybe it needed rejetted. I went up 2 sizes on the main jet, and moved the needle up to the middle position. Now I run great at low rpm, but running all out I develop a sputter at high rpm, especially if I hitting bumps, if I let off a bit it seems to "catch up", and then I ease up to higher rpm, it goes okay. When I had the carb apart there was a little orangish disk in the bowl I believe, like a sort of splash guard or something. My boyfriend told me to remove it, so I did. Could that thing be a problem? Or did I just change too much at once, I can go back down a jet size.
Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you just need to play with the jetting a little more. What size main jet you running now ?

About the little plastic piece you do have to disgard it when you rejet a warrior [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Leave the needle where it is and put a smaller main jet in it. The way I understand how a carb works is: When your throttle is pressed from nothing to midway, your engine gets fuel from the needle setting. When you are running wide open, fuel comes from the main jet. The dead spot you described came from a too lean condition on your needle jet. You have that right, but when you enlarged the main jet, you richened it too much causing the high RPM sputter.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

I went from a 145 to a 155, I bought both the 150 and 155, and was told to put the bigger jet in. I will try the 150 and see how it goes. I am also going to put 6 more holes in my airbox. I can't really open it too much as I do alot of riding in deep mud and water, sometimes up to the seat. The Rappy has an "outerwear" over a K&N airbox lid and he has problems with it getting too wet! My goal is to stay reliable in the woods.
Thank you!!!
Sherri

Old 03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ya give the 150 a shot that is what I have in my warrior and I have the airbox cut open. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Keep jetting down on the main until the stutter goes away on the top end. It should rev cleanly all the way up to the top of the RPM and have no stutter. Also one way to tell if something is wrong with the main is at 3/4 throttle the needle is doing the job, at full throttle the main is full on. When going from these two throttle postions does the engine respond? How so. You will know if you are lean on the main if the engine pulls the same or better at 3/4 throttle then it does at full.
On the low side or rpm of the carb should be adjust with the pilot jet fuel screw or actual pilot jet of your out more then 3 1/2 turns on the fuel screw (you'll have to go one up on the pilot jet then re adjust the fuel screw). To adjust this all you do is rev your bike up to about 2000 rpm (no more then 1/4 throttle) and then start adjusting, it will be the screw underneath the carb just in front of the float bowl. In is lean, out is rich. Poping through the carb then to lean... after burn in the exhaust or a miss.. then to rich. Really though it's easy because all you have to do is listen to the engine. The higher the rpms go the closer you are to the right mixture. Once you reach the highest rpms stop. You are a 1/4 turn either way from correct mixture. Don't let the bike over heat when doing this. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
Yes that should plastic doo daad should go back on the main jet if possible...

Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Jason. Yea, my prob is 3/4 to full throttle. I'll change that jet and reinstall that plastic thingy!!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

No problemo Sherri. Also remember that your actually jumping 2 sizes on the main. Maybe you know already? Like 145 .. .147.5 .. 150 and so on. Just an FYI.
Also if you've changed the air box it's going to effect all the jetting. Pilot, needle, and main. The pilot is more for idle to 1/4, needle is 1/4 to 3/4 and then Main 3/4 to full throttle postions. So if your having a problem at less then 1/4 throttle postion then go for the pilot circuit. Do you copy that?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

10-4 Jason!! I will print this out and use it this weekend while I'm playing with it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

Wow a chick that talks my language!

Quick Reply: Warrior-plastic piece inside carb??