Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

anybody put YFZ450 shocks on their raptors ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody put YFZ450 shocks on their raptors ?

i've read some threads but everyone starts talking about how to install them.

i want to know if they are better shocks for just trail riding ?? no mx and no jumping...

how exactly are they better ? i'm sure they are softer but what about handling ??

i dont want to do a- arms, etc. i'm just widing the rear alittle to help with cornering and power sliding. and was wondering if different front shocks would help with that too ???

i had a 400ex stock. the front shocks seemed sufficient on that . would the raptors be the same. the problem is i cant ride it right now and only rode it for 15 min total i noticed the inside tires wanting to come up when i was cornering and trying to do doughnets .

Old 04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

ok i read alittle more and found out that yfz shocks dont work with stock a- arms.

but my question remains about aftermarket front shocks. or is widened rear end be good enough for cornering/ power sliding?? or different tires than stock ??

what would i set my front shocks at for best performance on cornering .

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just widening the rear might not do much for cornering and sliding, it's even possible that it'll make it worse because of uneven widths. As strange as it may sound, it's usually easier to slide it around when the front is wider than the rear.

Depending on what kind of shocks you get, and how you set them up, you'll get different effects on your suspension. Shocks set up for trail riding are generally softer to give you a smooth ride and better articulation, but that softness will allow more roll in the corners. A shock set up for mx will be stiffer so it'll corner better, but i'll also be rough on the rider and machine because they have a tendency to bounce around more. The difference is like having the front shocks set at the softest preload versus the stiffest preload, just to further extremes. The higher your preload is on the stock shocks the better it'll corner and slide, but you'll get tired and sore noticably quicker.

If you really want to make a 660 corner good you just have to bite the bullet and widen it right and get some good aftermarket shocks. They came from the factory way too tall and narrow to have any degree of stability or handling.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

yfz 450 shocks will fit on a raptor. they are a pretty good upgrad and you can probley get some off ebay for a good price.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

They do fit as I have them on my raptor--however it's not just bolt and go......the top shock mount tabs must be ground down a bit and either the bottom of the shock(ground down) or the a arm must be notched as the shock will hit the arm......I chose to notch the arm---it was a relatively easy install and is a great improvement over stock for all riding conditions....

Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

I think the shocks for 06-now are the same for both machines. I remember Yamaha re-did some things to both machines and I think that was one of them. I could be mistaken though.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Range Rover

the yfz shocks lower the front alittle too, dont they ? is that ok ? wont it sit like a dragster than (higher in back ) ? or do you have to adjust the rear shock then too ?

and they do work with stock a-arms ????????

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: kyledvor61
I think the shocks for 06-now are the same for both machines. I remember Yamaha re-did some things to both machines and I think that was one of them. I could be mistaken though.

The front ends of the YFZ 450 and the Raptor 700 are the same---so they are/should be a direct bolt on---I was speaking of my 660 raptor---I should have made that point in my original post.....

Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Range Rover

so with the yfz shocks/ or others, i will be able to stiffen them up more than the stock shocks for cornering and still have softness???? example : if i put stock ones at hardest and put aftermarket at hardest the aftermarkets will be softer ride and still be better for the roll effect ?? thanks everyone !!!

does anybody know what the weight limit is on yfz's shocks and are they valved properly for my weight ? 260lbs ?? mabey i would need diff. ones??????????/

Old 04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

450 shocks will probably be a harsher ride than your stock ones regardless of the settings, 450's just aren't designed with comfort as a big priority.