Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why Could My Quad Be Making Only 36 hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Could My Quad Be Making Only 36 hp?

Hmm what does a stock raptor 660 have for rear wheel HP? Do you have a different ingintion box? Was the Cam timed right? Does it have good valve springs? (old ones may be not closing the valves at higher RPMS) Does it have stock gearing? What gear did you run in?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

well they dynoed it with gytr exhaust before they did any engine work and it was 34 hp... i went one tooth up in the front sprocket and the valve springs were changed. the stock ignition is in it and i didnt get to ask him what gear he ran it in...i took it out after i left the shop in my field and it was about 32 degrees and honestly after letting it warm up i had to have it choked almost all the way for it to be decently responsive...it still pulled a wheelie in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th though when i just banged through the gears going like 10 mph

Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

i honestly don't know if the cam was timed right...i was just shocked and disgusted at the numbers that i just left with my quad...tomorrow i plan on going back and talking to him about it... i just want to know what i could suggest to him bc it pissed me off when he told me my lte dual exhaust was more restrictive than yoshimura exhaust that he recommended

Old 04-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally posted by: Jag8723
i honestly don't know if the cam was timed right...i was just shocked and disgusted at the numbers that i just left with my quad...tomorrow i plan on going back and talking to him about it... i just want to know what i could suggest to him bc it pissed me off when he told me my lte dual exhaust was more restrictive than yoshimura exhaust that he recommended
Its hard for me to believe that LTE exhaust would choke down your motor like he says. Sounds like at that point he didnt know what to say so he started making up anything.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Trailblazer

yeah thats what i think...he said the dyno runs and tuning were "on the house"...but anyway besides taking the engine apart is there any way i can find out if the timing is off?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Well first off sounds like your too lean if you hade to run with the choke all the way on. Far as timing I was just suggesting that a after market box would give you a few degrees advance. I think you need a dyno run with checking your jetting need a place with exhasut gas anyalizer.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

they have an exhaust gas analyzer...i need to look at the charts which i will probably do today...i remember the guy saying something about it producing too much CO2 gas...and i was running my quad in 32 degree weather....would it have affected it that much that i needed the choke all the way up?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

once the motor warms up no choke is needed u are running to lean. if they have a sniffer what af ratio u have it should be close to 14:1 some where i dynoed my 686 with a yousie tit. and got 55 now got dyna box and lte's and i am goin back to the dyno soon.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

i think you meant CO gas not CO2 gas,

Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I meant CO lol...well I am going to go have a talk with the guy today and look at all the dyno results and ask him if he changed the timing...im not quitting till it is at least 45 hp.
What should I suggest/talk about to him then:
-timing issue
-jetting (even though the computer says what to do...could it still be wrong?)
I don't know what the levels of exhaust are supposed to be and how each one affects the quad but what does each gas "stand" for.

P.S. sorry for being such a pain in the @$$

Quick Reply: Why Could My Quad Be Making Only 36 hp?