Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Re DW Renegade v. Grizzly, & Raptor shootout

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re DW Renegade v. Grizzly, & Raptor shootout

Has anyone one else read that yet. They claim the Rengade is really 800lbs!!! According to the article, the Renegade isn't 597lbs, 600lbs, or even 700lbs. According to the Dirtwheels article the 700 Raptor is 400lbs, the 700 Grizzly is another 200lbs and the Renegade is 200 lbs heavier than the Grizzly. That's 200lbs more than the claimed dry weight. Not to mention they basically said the single spar frame wasn't a good thing either. In summary, they didn't give it too much credit. Sorry I was a little aggravated about what I read, almost every other comparison I've read, and there have been quite a few recently, recognizes how versatile it is. Maybe what they were suggesting is that it's not as comfortable as a Grizzly, and although it can do anything the Grizzly can , and it also isn't as nimble and lightweight as the 700 Raptor althought it's easily just as powerful, and there's no need to worry about shifting. In my book that make the Renegade more versatile than either, which is what it's meant for. Anyone else bothered by that article?

Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

well, that is dry weight your looking at, you have to take in account oil and gas and all that stuff. Maybe it has a 15 gallon gas tank =)

Old 04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

so then you're saying the Grizzly must weigh 600 with all the fluids, since that's what they're claiming it weighs. Granted the Renegade is heavy, and perhaps heavier than a Grizzly, but 200 lbs heavier. Even if that were the case five gal of gas and two quarts of oil doesn't equal 200lbs.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

First of all i dont like that test. Comparing a renegade to a raptor 700?!?!?!?! Yes you are right they didnt give the renegade all the credit it deserved. That thing moves for how big it is. I found 597 pounds dry from the can-am website. Full of gas and oil and storage you are nowhere near 800 pounds if 597 is the real dry weight. I guess its about 670. I'll ask in the can-am forums.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Trailblazer

Yes the shootout was not a fair comarison with the raptor 700 in it. And they weren't giving the renegade much credit. But I still don't think it is worth the price tag for what you get.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

That issue of DW had a few editing errors in it. I read one issue where a Sportsman 800SE weighed 200lbs more in a feature than a Sportsman 800 weighed in a shootout a few pages later.
As far as I'm concerned, they all weigh 100lbs TOO MUCH

Old 04-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Granted it is a little pricier than another quad of a similar size, but in all fairness, you get a lot more power and get EFI, high quality 4-wheel independent suspension, and just about anything else you can find on the grizzly, minus the EPS. By the way, the special edition Grizzly is 8700. I think. That's pretty close to the price of a Renegade, which should be considered a sport edition of an Outlander. I personally think every quad is over priced, it's just a matter of whether or not money will deter you enough from wanting one. I had a friend of mine read the article who has a Polaris 800 and has ridden my Renegade, and he was really shocked. How on earth can they say the Raptor 700 is a better trail machine, and in another sentence say that getting it stuck and hung up on rocks and roots was a problem, and still be bothered with shifting up and down constantly. Then they mentioned something about the motor tranny not being suitable for slow technical trail riding! Can someone tell me how to get in touch with one of those idiots and tell them that's what LOW range is for! High range on the Renegade isn't designed for that. Last week I was tooling around in some rough trails at and had a slower rider in front of me, at around 2-4 MPH, Low range worked great! They put a serious spin on the facts. The Renegade is more nimble than a Grizzly and more powerful, than both and can go places a Raptor will never go and easier.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

It is a great bike, but if I were to buy a "utility" class quad I would want it to be able to actually perform tasks such as hauling firewood out of the woods, towing a drag down the driveway, and moving the boat around the yard. I just don't think the renegade can perform like the Grizzly could with those types of tasks.

But when it comes to trail riding and not working I would rather ride the Raptor 700. I just prefer a full on sport quad for it.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, the Renegade is every bit as much of a work horse as an Outlander, and an Outlander is way stronger than a Grizzly. The Renegade just does it with components that are sportier and enables it to handle much better using better shocks and tires that provides better handling characteristics. As for a Raptor, if you want a machine that tires you out in tight tough technical terrain that requires constant clutching and shifting effort that only ends up getting stuck in every rut and tree stump that the rear skid plates gets hung up on, then whatever works for ya. A Raptor is awesome, but I had enough of those incidents on my 660 Raptor. Those days of tiring myself out only to end up stuck time and time again are behind me. Now I have a more powerful, need I say, "HOT" 4x4 that doesn't get stuck, and still has more than enough excitement to leave a big smile on my face and pull wheelies with very little effort. By the way, I found out the other day a Grizzly 700 is only rated at about 47hp and even DW described it as being slow. A Renegade is putting out 62hp, and it comes on almost instantaneously.