Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Electrical Problem 2000 Grizz 600 Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem 2000 Grizz 600 Help!!

Hope someone on here can help me out. I am obviously new here. I just purchased a 2000 Grizzly 600 that has a few minor problems. The biggest is the electrical problem I am having. The battery was completely dead, I tried to put in a new one and as soon as I touch the leads to the battery, it starts cranking over. Wth the ignition key turned off and the kill switch in the off position, it still tries to crank over. I have pulled all of the plastic off and traced the wiring harness, there are no bare wires. I have checked all the fuses and unplugged all electricall connections ( I almost have the entire wiring harness removed at this point) and have found no bad spots. I have cleaned all electrical connections and still have the same problem. The only thing I have come up with is the starter relay. With the battery disconnected I have coninuity between the main posts on the starter relay ??? Is this right ??? When I ohm out the 2 smaller wires on the starter relay, it shows 4.5 ohms ??? Is this right ??? The smaller leads, one goes to the kill switch and the other goes to the CDI box. Can someone shed some light here ? I can easily start this thing with the pull rope and it seems to run fine, but it would be nice to be able to use the electric start, the lights you know, all the good stuff. Please help. Thanks in advance !!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Join the club on electrical probs. I have a 660 Griz and went through hell trying to find the prob. Your starter relay would be a good place to start I had to replace mine but for the opposite reason. A good person to ask on this matter would be Grizzhopper or Hondabuster they are both good on these Probs.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas. I will try to contact the 2 people you mentioned and see what they think.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

the relay is quite simple---has 2 large terminals, and 2 small terminals. when power and ground are applied to the 2 small terminals, the 2 large terminals are connected together. with no power and ground applied, the 2 large terminals are NOT connected. Basically your batter positive goes to one of the large terminals, and the other large terminal goes to the starter motor. when connected, battery power can flow from the battery to the starter.

when you ohm'check something (checking for a complete circuit) unplug all wires from the component.. bring it to a bench. you can sometimes get inaccurate readings when you still have it connected to circuits. the 4.5 ohms across the 2 small terminals sounds OK. there should be NO continuity across the large 2 termials when no power is applied to it, if there is, it's bad. also, check continuity across each big terminal to the small terminals, those circuits should be no continuity any time.

if all that checks out, you should check for 12v and ground on the 2 small terminal wires. the starter button should either apply 12v when pressed, or supply a ground when pressed, either way will work. if you have both power and ground all the time, maybe the button is bad, etc. might want to find a wiring diagram to find more info

Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to find the book now. None of the local dealerships have one, one even told me that didn't make a book for this wheeler. Anywho.... Last night I pulled the cable off of the starter side of the relay / solenoid and hooked the battery up. I had 12v coming straight through the relay / solenoid so I am going to ASSume that it is the problem for now. On my way to get a new one today and will try it out tonight.

Thanks again !!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's all working now. Replaced the relay / solenoid and put everything back in it's place. Sounds like I will need to pull the starter out and clean off / oil up the bendix shaft. When I push the starter button, the bendix gear tries to stay engaged. If I bump the button a time or two, it stops. I took the start button / kill switch apart and cleaned everything up there.

Thanks allot for everyone's help. If anyone comes across a manual for this thing, I would appreciate if you would let me know where I can get it. I haven't had any luck.