Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Are you keeping your modified Raptor 660?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you keeping your modified Raptor 660?

The FCR's are an aftermarket carb that are a HUGE improvement over the P.O.S. Stock carbs. . . Those things are junk IMO and one of the biggest reasons not to go with the old 660. . . I ran the FCR 39's on my DS650. . . awesome. . . Loved those carbs.

I time will tell but, FI is the future. . . The YFZ will be next as will the Rhino. . . like it or not. . . FI is the future. . . and that's fine with me!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

not all that is digatal is better analog is what i like i have had no troubles with stock junk carbs but i am sure if i push the mods to engine i would need some thing like the FCRs but in terms of loveing carbed dirt machines versus efi machines you won,t see me on any in the near future happy riding .

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

1111:

I think you nailed it. . . as long as you don't modify the carbs are ok.

Unfortunately, I (and my Wife) had to re-jet those things way too many times. . . what a pain!!!

And I'm definitely with you on your last point. . . Happy Riding!!! That's what it is all about!!!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Range Rover

well for me jetting the dual carbs is a maybe 20 minutes at tops for me i find it pretty easy i know i know others hate it but for me i have gotten good at it and frankly plan ahead depending on riding site and yes i have had the carbs out and on there top sides in the middle of a rideing day yes not what i want to be doing but for me i can do it lol again happy riding

Old 05-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Keepin it, if you do the right mods the old 660 can be very competitive, and it's definitely proven to be reliable.
Being able to smoke the new 450s & 700s with the old rap tells me i don't really need a new bike. just gonna keep upgrading the performance, thats half the fun anyway.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1111
well for me jetting the dual carbs is a maybe 20 minutes at tops for me i find it pretty easy i know i know others hate it but for me i have gotten good at it and frankly plan ahead depending on riding site and yes i have had the carbs out and on there top sides in the middle of a rideing day yes not what i want to be doing but for me i can do it lol again happy riding
I prefer carbs over EFI myself. EFi is great for quick starts, alt and temp changes. But, if doesn't have an integrated mass air flow sensor, it requires recalibration after mods. Also, EFI is not a reponsive as a good flat slide carb with accelerator pump.

But, the Raptor CVT carbs are a major misapplication. These are street bike carbs. Yamaha should be shot. They are unresponsive and difficult to tune. The vacuum slides are designed for smooth roads, not off road. Bouncing slides make the bike sputter. Bouncing floats require periodic adjustment. I have been fighting these carbs since the bike was new. Finally, the torsional throttle plate return spring broke 70 miles from home in the desert. (I was WOT at the time...scary) Jury rigged the return with the brake light switch spring. This was the last straw for me. So, I just ordered the 39 mm FCR flat slide carbs...thanks to this thread. Should have done this a couple years ago. So, I hope the bike stays together for a while now. I am stuck with this bike for a couple more years now...which is just fine.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are going to love those FCR's. . . I was thrilled with the performance of them on my DS. . . Good comments on the stock carbs. . .

What some will have to decide is, do I want to put $1000 into carbs/intake/filters AFTER I spend a bunch of money on mods or should I go with the FI.

The FI does require re-mapping because it is not a closed-loop FI - Meaning - it isn't reading the exhaust gas O2 % and adjusting the fuel/air ratio as conditions change. . .

There is something in the inlet air plennum. . . I assumed MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor but, I guess it could be temperature sensor???

The Fuel Injection system on the Raptor 700 will compensate for changes in altitude (atmospheric pressure) and temperature. . .

If you modify the pipe / air filter to allow for more Air Flow - you need to change your fuel map (PowerCommanderIII is great for this.) It doesn't require any removal of plastics, spilling of fuel, dropping of jets, etc. Just plug your laptop into the USB port and fire up the bike to get the connection and download a new map or change the current map. I would suggest making changes to the map on your Laptop first then save it as a new file. Now you just need to connect and fire up the quad to get the connection and download the map to the PCIII and you are done.

Both my Wife and I could change the jets in the carbs in about 30-minutes. I think I'll be able to re-map the 700 in about 5 minutes. AND I won't have to get dirty or get out any tools!