Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Electrical Problem

Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Electrical Problem

I have an 04 Raptor. Haven't had a problem with it until the last trip out. Half way through the trip I went to start it and it nothing happened. Wouldn't even try to crank over. I ended up bump starting it and it ran great. Now when I turn the key and hit the grey start button, nothing happens. My neutral light flickers on and off like something is grounded or shorted out, but when I bump start it it runs normal. I swapped the starter relay with my buddy's and that didn't solve it so today I took the switch housing apart and cleaned it all up inside and still nothing. When I turn the key on I noticed the headlights do not come on, and I can't remember if the bike has to be running or not for the lights to come on. I know the lights would have nothing to do with it because I frequently unplug the lights and ride without them. I am thinking that it may be the key (ignition) switch, or possibly the CDI box? Not really sure yet. It's just weird how when I turn the key on, the neutral light kinda pulses like somthing is grounding or shorting out. Oh yeah, I can hear the starter relay click once in awhile when I hit the grey start button, but nothing ever happens. I do have a Pro Design tether switch and the 2 wires coming off that to my coil look fine. The battery is new and is getting plenty of voltage.....Any ideas??????????

Old 05-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with checking the battery connections and the ground connection on the engine and fuses. Have you tried pulling in the clutch when you try to start it?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep tried swapping out the relay box underneath the seat with another Raptor's. It doesn't help when I pull the clutch in either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

i have 04 raptor too. i bought a aftermarket CDI box to increase my performance. well when i plugged it in, the neutral light flickered little bit and it would not start at all, not even a click in the relay. your CDI box might be a possibility. maybe try plugging in your buddies CDI box into yours.but be careful there, the company who i bought my CDI box said they shipped me the wrong one because certain years have boxes that have different programing. so hopefully he has the same year as you or close to it. as for your light question, your quad does not have to be running, but your key as to be in and turned on. also i would check all the battery connections too. but good luck to you!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

He has an 03 I believe. Well The CDI box would be a great easy fix, it sounds like your quad did the same thing mine is doing. I'm wondering if it got wet inside it and fried it out, but how come I could bump start the bike and it ran fine? Wouldn't a bad CDI not even let the bike run at all?? Also I can turn my key on and no head lights come on at all. I'm gonna try the CDI as soon as I can get him to take his off. Hopefully that does it, but I'm not sure.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

i cant compleatly answer your question about reguarding the CDI box but i can say this. i did buy a afterarket CDI box 2 years ago. ran great for 2 years. but last month i lost all performance when my throttle was open 60-70% or more. i thought it was dirty carbs again so i cleaned them and it still did it. i swapped out my CDI to the factory one and the problem went away. what it was doing was when i was about 50-60%% open on my throttle, the engine would sound like it wants to spuder and die, almost like not getting gas. but at lower RMP/Speeds it would run fine. as for your light question, i went to my raptor and tested an idea. i compleatily disconnected my CDI box to see if it would have any effect on the lighting. well after i disonnected it, the lights still came on. so i would have to say the CDi box has nothing to do with the lighting.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Does the neutral light only flicker when you press the start button, or continuously?

Also, only when in neutral, right?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Quad Maniac, if you are asking me, the answer to your question if my neutral light flickers when i try to start it, the answer is no.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: StngGT350

Quad Maniac, if you are asking me, the answer to your question if my neutral light flickers when i try to start it, the answer is no.</end quote></div>

No, sorry Stng. I was referring the question to the original post by Rippy.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I put my new battery on my Battery Tender and tried it the next day and all the relay did is buzz alot. After I put my old battery in it with a full charge the quad cranked right over. Something is wrong with my new battery and I will be taking that sucker back!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raptor Electrical Problem