Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Aftermarket suspension for Grizzly 700

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket suspension for Grizzly 700

I had King Racing shocks on my Rhino, but then switched to +6.5 a-arms and had to upgrade to long travel shocks (Elka). Today I was cleaning up in the garage, and had two King shocks in my hands, and happened to be looking at the Grizzly 700 sitting there minding its own business. I got curious, and checked to see if the King shocks for a Rhino would fit a Grizzly 700. The rear shocks are the same length and have the same mounting bolt size, but the springs are 3" in diameter instead of 2" in diameter, and the shocks have huge piggyback reservoirs on them. Despite the differences the right rear shock bolted right in place, although the left rear piggyback reservoir would hit the exhaust silencer. So I had one aftermarket shock on, and one stock shock on, and decided to take the Grizzly for a test ride to see if I could tell much difference with just one King shock. And it did make a difference, a big difference. Even though this was a shock for a two seat Rhino, and not a Grizzly, but it was still better on that side than on the stock side. High speed over a rocky trail would cause the stock rear shock to bounce in the air when ever it hit a large rock at speed. The King shock side would just swallow the impact with a rock, and stay stuck to the ground like glue.

So if one mismatched aftermarket shock for a totally different vehicle actually makes an improvement on the Grizzly 700, then the stock shocks must be really lousy shocks. Has anyone used aftermarket suspension on a Grizzly 700, and if so, what brand did you use, and how well did it work?

DV

Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket suspension for Grizzly 700

well stock shocks are very whimpy,like on my 06 wolverine i can put front raptor shocks and it improves the ride but nothing fits the rear yet