Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Need Some Advice

I am looking into the YZF450, EX400, and TRX450R. Any Pros/Cons between the 3 would be greatly appreciated. I am just looking right now so any references on years differences would be good too.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums Leks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You might want to add the Can AM DS450 to that list.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ride any you can get your hands on, seat of the pants is a good way to see how a quad fits you and your ridding style.just my .02¢

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am just looking at the 3 but thanks for the advice.

Anyone else?

Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

With out you giving more info like what kind of riding you will be doing etc. Ill just give my thoughts of the 3

The 400ex is a good bullet proof machine that despite its old design still handles and performs well for a 400 class quad. It will lug down good and makes a great trail machine and is well balanced. It however wont run with the 450's you listed.

The 2 450's will require more maintenace than the 400 but nothng to bad. The 450 class quads like to rev and run at a faster pace. I dont really give a edge to either 450 they just maybe are better at certain things over each other.

There is way to much personal preference in quads for anyone to be able and tell you the right quad. They are all 3 good quads and like xFreebirdX said the best thing you can do is ride them and see which fits you better.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and

Welcome to the forum [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of riding do you like to do??as per your list I can see go fast is at the top[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] but what kind of trails??wet,dry,rough,groomed track riding??Those are very fast track bikes on your list,they excel on groomed track like conditions,and dunes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have pulled more then a few of those type of racers out of the mud and ruts..Because they bought the fastest quad they can get their hands on and did not consider the kind of trails they ride..Give us a little more info on the kind of riding you want to do..There are people on this board that ride every condition possible,that can help before you pull the trigger and buy the wrong quad..

Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

TY and I actually should have read through the whole forum first before posting. I reposted this with height weight and style in looking to buy forum. Thanks for the input.

I have rode Banshee 350's and Raptor 6's but never actually owned a quad other than my boys Etron 50cc and Chinese 110cc. I think its time for daddy to play now!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I've got 2 400ex's and a Raptor 660.

The EX's are my favorite for riding around, and they're bullet proof. The 660 is a monster and always a thrill.

The 450's you describe will be closer to the 660 in performance, if not better, but require more riding skill, care and maintanence then the 400EX.

Fun, or Thrills? Your choice!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

The 400EX is a bulletproof quad that is fairly cheap and just an all around good trail quad with enough power for the average person. The 450's have enough power for the person that wants to beat everybody in the pack. Stock, the Yamaha 450 is slightly faster than the Honda 450, but to me the Honda is more comfortable and more controlable than the Yamaha.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

get the yfz 450 they kick all around *** and u can ride them anywhere.(except mud of course)

Quick Reply: New Need Some Advice