Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rappy 660 Spit and Sputter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rappy 660 Spit and Sputter

Well a few weeks back my rappy was running great, other than a bad starter clutch. Then the CDI box went on it and i had both of them replaced. Got it back and it ran good. Just a few days ago i was at my buddy house rompin in the woods and got a nice large stick jammed up in the left side. Hit so hard it knocked the carbs out of the rubber boots. well.... after a few backfires and flames, we found out this is what the problem was. So today i tore all the plastic off and re-seated the carbs and sealed them up. Its starts right up and idles fine. But at when held in neutral at higher RMP, mby 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it spits and sputters.... ?!?! Itll drive ok, but definatly a loss of power, especially in top end. Also, it seems to heat up a LOT faster than it used to. Spark plug is light tan... very light... lean?? Im starting to learn some stuff, but still new at the quad thing. Just wish i didnt have a problem every week :-/ Any response appriciated.

P.S. .... any one want a 2002 660 raptor? :-P

Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Range Rover

well i had problems like your before. first time i had my jets clogged. so i think you might need to take apart your carbs and give them a good cleaning. i would also make sure your filters in your gas tank is not clogged.
second time is i had my reverse switch had mud and grim inside the rubber boot losing contact with the switch. this caused my 660 to spuder and spat.
i hope that helps ya

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

I'm going to guess that when the stick hit your carb boots it made a slight tear in it. Thats why it will idle fine but under acceleration there is more air/pressure flowing through the boots, therefore exposing the slight tear or crack. Allowing it suck more air than is needed and causing a lean condition. I would tear it down again and inspect the boots/manifold and make sure everything is clean and in good condition before re assembly.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

well im gonna wash it off tonight then tear it apart in the next few days.... im guessing its a dirty carb/jet, or a damaged boot. Ill post my findings.... thanks to all. more advice welcome. thanks.

P.S. how hard it is to tear the carbs apart? what do i have to watch for?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They both have you heading in the right direction. (Gotta start somewhere). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

And welcome to the forums b4evercountry. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]