Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster problem

Its been awhile since I've been on here so excuse me for the cobwebs.

I am at my wits end with our Blaster. It is a 2003 with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. G3 reeds, 28mm carb, oil injection removed, and Uni filter. Other than that, its stock.
My oldest son broke his arm, and its also been 100+ degrese with lots of humidity, so we've not rode in a copy of months. I got it out last week, drained the old fuel out and mixed up some new and started it up. It starts fine, idles fine, and runs fine, until I drop it into gear and try to ride it. It coughs, spits and sputters. put it in neutral and it will come out of it and run fine. I changed the plug, cleaned the carb twice and it still does it. When its sputtering, if you shake the quad from side to side, it will run. SOOO. I drained the gas and cleaned the tank out along with removing the petcock and cleaning the filter there. Still does it. I removed the carb again and cleaned it again. Checked the reeds, and all looks good. IT STILL DOES IT!!!! What is going on with this thing? All that we did to it was let it sit in a nice garage for a month, and now it doesn't want to run. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Someone please help!!

Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster problem

What condition is your new spark plug in after runing it? wet, oily and black? just dark? or white?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster problem

The plug is usually black and wet. This thing might run fine for 10 minutes or so and then go into its fits. It will also come out of it if you rock it back and forth, from side to side. I usually do all my on work, but this thing has got me stumped big time and I'm about to take it to someone.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster problem

Man its been 100 to 105 the past 20 days here in NW GA. I'm like you its to hot for riding lately. the only thing I can think is that the main jet in carb is not for the kinda temps were haveing. not as much air in hot temps, so less fule is needed. cold air has more density, so more fule is needed. I have a 200 jet in my Banshee. it runs fine up to 90 deegrees. after that it runs bad rich since I don't ride in any weather warmer than that, so I don't see a reason to buy a set of 190 jets and spend the time installing them. when was the last time you looked at your float level? did you check the condition of the needle and seat in the float chamber? how clean is the air filter?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster problem

Will the motor rev up when you push the throttle while it is in nuetral?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster problem

I checked the float, float level and all jets, seats, and needles last time I took the carb off. (late last week) All seemed fine. We also cleaned the air filter before I even tried to start it the first time. The jet thing might be, but it will run fine at times. (it revs nicely) Then it starts into its convulsions, and then come out of it, and so on. It will start on the first kick most of the time and run fine for a moment. Then it starts what seems like bogging out. Then if I shake the whole quad, it will come out of it. Like it has something sticking or blocking something in the fuel system. I've cleaned the tank, and carb and I'm sure theres nothing there. When I ride it it will bog, sputter, and my sons say spit fire, but when I stop it idles fine.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster problem

Well it might be time to trouble shot the TROS system. I had to replace a Throttle switch on mine. the next time I have a problem with my TROS, I'm going to Eliminate it all together. do you have a lot of hours on your blaster? how much use has your machien seen?

Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster problem

I'm pretty sure the TORS is not the problem. Its sitting in my storage bins in my garage. I took it off when I put the 28 mm carb on. I have checked the electrical connections where it used to plug in though, and they seemed fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster problem

Ha HA HA!!! Ya that thing couldn't cause a problem in storage. hmmmm. Parking brake sensor? what about your exhuast. could it be dirty or pluged? how much riding time do you have on the blaster? Has it cooled down where you live? Might give it a try whene temp comes down.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster problem

The motor has almost a year since the last rebuild. We normally ride alot in a year, but this year being so hot and other things going on, have not rode nearly as much.
Last night I went and talked to a friend of mine that has a motorcycle / quad repair shop, and he thought it sounded like something electrical. So I started unpluging things that it didn't have to have to run one at a time until the problem went away. I don't know for sure if it was the real problem or what, but when I unpluged the parking brake from the rev limiter (under the front hood) it fixed it. We rode it for about an hour last night and everything seems fine again. I had checked the parking brake at the handle bars before but couldn't find any problems. It may have been the rev limiter had a short in it or something? Glad I'm almost bald anyways, I sure wouldn't have had any hair after all this if I wasn't.

THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Blaster problem