Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wrong jets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong jets?

I recently added a hmf pipe and a k&n filter to my 06 wolverine, and had a local shop do the dyno jet kit. In neutral, it revs up just fine with no sputtering or anything, but when in gear going down the road, it starts to sputter around 46mph. Before the mods, it would hit 52 mph no problem, but I cant get over 46 now...so is it not getting enough fuel to let it rev out like before? Just too small of jets or what?

Im assuming there is a rev limiter in neutral, but when in gear it lets it rev out a little more before it hits the limiter...so sitting in the shop, they never had it up to that high of a rpm so they thought they were good to go...does that sound about right?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default Wrong jets?

Nobody knows for sure if thats what happens when it leans out at high rpm's?

When I dropped it back off at the shop, the guy tried telling me that Im probably hitting the rev limiter at a lower speed now because of the pipe....but that doesnt make sense to me, the rev limiter is still set at the same RPM...the only way to change the final top speed is gearing, clutch kit, or different tires...right?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Wrong jets?

Could be lean, could be rich. could be other things. Just to hard to diagnose over the net. I missed one the other day with our race car. I called fuel, the dirver called fuel, after screwing with this engine for hours it was a sticky valve. This is a race engine I know REAL well. I was wrong, and I could hear this one.

This deal is tough to call over the net. I would RUN away form anybody that says the limiter is coming on sooner because of a pipe!!!!!! The guy does not have a clue.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wrong jets?

I wouldn't let that guy touch my quad ever, he is just the shop manager (just does paperwork). The tech that worked on mine was out to lunch when I brought it back, so I didn't have a chance to talk to him...I think the manager just wanted him to move on to another project.

I cant immagine its anything but fuel, it ran perfect before the pipe, filter and jets...it still revs clean all the way through the band, it just spits and sputters @ wide open throttle about 8mph before it used to hit the limiter. Since Im still running the stock tires, and clutch kit, I should be able to hit the same top mph, just get there a little sooner with the new goodies.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Wrong jets?

Sounds like your on top of it.
If someone stuck a gun to my head and told me to make a call I would say your right about being lean.
Let us know what you find out.
PS your doing the right thing to talk to the tech that will work on your quad.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!
Default Wrong jets?

they may have gotten lazy and not moved the needle and instead put a HUGE main jet in it

Old 09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wrong jets?

Im going to keep taking it back until its done right...I paid them 2 hours labor (around $150) to jet it, so I wont be happy until it runs perfect. I wont get it back until tuesday because of the holiday, so we will se how the second round goes.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wrong jets?

I had the exact same thin happen to mine after the hmf pipe and k&n filter. I had to lean the main jet more than stock and change the needle settings.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Wrong jets?

This just keeps getting better and better.....

I have been working 12+ hour days at the local nuke plant for the past week, and will be working all weekend also, so I never had a chance to go pick up the quad, funny thing is they never called and let me know it was done either. Well, I had my girl call for me yesterday and they told me it was all done and sitting there for me to come pick up, so I had my brother and a friend of mine go pick it up for me today. The same asinine shop manager told them it was all set and ready to go, so they loaded it up and brought it home.

Well, once they got it off the trailer, they started it up and ran it down the road....same damn thing! 45mph and no more. So they brought it back up there....my brother called me once he got there and asked me what I wanted them to do, then the guy asked to talk to me......he had the ***** to tell me that the larger tires I put on it are making it loose top end (which doesn't make sense)....I still have the stock tires on it! The he proceeded to argue with me that they weren't stock! I wanted to choke this idiot through the phone.

Then he tried saying that it is probably the wrong jet kit. I bought the dynojet kit, comes with 5 different main jets, one needle, one pilot jet, and some other parts.....its the only one they make for the wolverine 450, and it has different jets so it can be tuned for the right a/f ratio!

The guy told me that if I wanted them to tear the carb apart and start messing with the jets and everything, then they would have to charge me by the hour....what the hell did they just charge me 2 hours labor ($180) for?!?!?! I asked him what size jet they installed the first time, and he couldn't tell me.....but then he said it was the only one that came in the pack. What about the 4 others, different needle and all the other parts?!?!?

I told my brother to load the quad up, get my money back, get the jet kit back and I would take it somewhere that knew how to jet a carb. Then the guys starts apologizing and told me they would have a different tech look at it, and get it all straightened out.
This is their last chance, one more F-up and Im going up there, tear this guy a new *******, and getting my money and parts back...if they don't comply, I my lawyer will be getting involved.

Now that I think about it more....something isn't right. Im guessing they didn't even touch the carb the second time around, the tech probably didn't want to mess with it again and just told the manager it was all done correctly. They never gave me the rest of the parts back from the jet kit either....Im guessing they installed the larger pilot jet, or the biggest main jet and threw the rest of the kit away, because he tried telling me there was only one jet in the whole big pack. Or they sold it, or lost it...I have no idea, I cant make sense out of this mess anymore. If there is one new scratch, one mark on the plastics, it doesn't run perfect or one thing out of place...I will take legal action, I cant take this any more.

Sorry for writing a book, but my blood is boiling again just thinking about this whole situation.