Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Yamaha Warrior makes a click sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Yamaha Warrior makes a click sound?

Well pretty much I just got my new quad this sunday after saving up and selling my KFX 80. I got a year 2000 warrior with a pro circuit exhaust jetter carb, the works. But the problem was, when I bought it was it made a clicking noise. At first the sellers father though it was the neutral stick getting a little stuck, so my father and I bought it. When we got home it started up and we rode it up and down the street once. Then it wouldn't work, just a click noise. Luckily the man who sold it to me was nice and gave me all the advice he can, he told me to tap the starter with the head of a hammer ect. After putting the Warrior into first gear shaking it back and forth kicking it back onto neutral it started up, and after trying that a few more times the next day all it does is struggle to go, but eventually falls back onto the ticking. The man who sold it to me works at a quad store (which I know he does he is not bsing because my friend actually knows him) and said he is 99% sure that it is the starter because he said everything under the hood is brand new, which it is, and that he will send me a new one free. So pretty much I believe him about it being the starter, but I simply want to make sure it is, I just want to know that it isn't the battery or god forbid something with the motor. Like I said now it can't turn over it just struggles and eventually falls back to the clicking. The lights and neutral light work. I mean the battery is new so I just want to make sure it couldn't be something else. I really appreciate the help, thanks.

And I don't know much about quads except how to ride them, so English would be nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I'm a little confused as to when this noise starts, but I'm guessing it clicks when you try to start the engine? If thats the case, then I would check the battery cables to make sure they are tight at the battery and at the starter, and at the top rear of the engine where the ground wire hooks on. Then make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals. If all that was good, I would check the battery for 100% charge. All because it is new doesn't mean it is good, especially if it came from Walmart. Every Warrior starter I've seen go bad starts dragging when trying to start, especially after the engine warms up. Not saying your starter is good, but in my experiences when the clicking noise starts, you're not getting the juice you need to the starter while cranking. But, if you can get a free starter, you better jump on it, cause if it's not messed up now it's gonna go out one day, and that will be $200 you won't have to spend.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

Yes I do mean when I try to start the engine. I don't know I guess I'll check the battery and that, and see what's going on. It's just that starter is old so yeah. Thanks for the help

Old 09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah you have to keep an eye on those battery terminals. One minute you think they are tight and then the next minute your bike won't start and that famous clicking sound begins. I had a brand new Raptor 660 that I had only ridden like 3 times do that crap. New battery, new engine, new starter, new everything.........and here it goes clicking when you try to start it. Well, guess what it was? Yep, the battery cable was loose.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

I know this may sound stupid but if it is loose how do I tighten it? Like do I need something to tighten it or what? And also where is the actual cable? Will I see it when I pop the seat or do I need to look under the quad underneath the battery?

Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

mine does it all the time so i take a screwdriver and bridge the cylenoid and it starts right up(the button on the handlebars is bad on mine) even afher i flipped it down a hill today and bent the bars down to the gas tank it started right up when i bridged the cylenoid.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

The battery is under the seat. There is 2 bolts on the top of the battery that each hold on 1 wire. Check those. Don't tighten them too tight, as you might break them. The battery terminals are made of lead and will break off easily. You may want to have some supervision to help you pick out the right tool. Probably will be a 10 millimeter wrench. Turning the bolts clockwise will tighten them.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

this is off topic, but Raptor450, has your 97 Warptor ever been in an issue of dirtwheels? i thought i saw one just like it in there.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help. Although I am not that inclined lol. I know how to use a screw driver but thanks for telling me how to tighten it. I'll have to test this out tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if nothing else is wrong with the battery pull the starter ,and disassemble it ,and clean the inside ,
some times the oil will get thru the seal on the motor and will gum up the starter . happened to me ,easy fix still origanal starter on mine ,

Quick Reply: My Yamaha Warrior makes a click sound?