Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor is a rip off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DesertRaptor your right and the raptor is a great machine when it comes to racing.
I think the raptor is the best recent racing atv out.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 01-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

one word,,,, GRIZZLY!!!

Old 01-04-2001, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

DesertRaptor your probably the only one here who can put each quad in its place.
Your raptor is a great machine for racing, no question.
The scrambler is great for extreme trail riding.
The raptor is'nt going to stand up on the trail that was meant for 4x's.
And the scrambler is'nt going stand up at the race track.
It's that simple instead of everyone saying my quad can do anything your quad can do, every quad has its strong points and the raptors happen to be strong at racing, as the scramblers are for extreme trail riding.
I beat we spend more time argueing between each other than riding.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 01-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the affordability factor on polaris's?!! It's out rageous! Someone I ride with has a magnum 325 2x4(5399), and my recon(3399) can do everything that it can do better. Talk about a big price diff. And for the same price, my 400ex can eat it for lunch(mud included)

Old 01-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I know I hate it when my TBlazer backfires and blows the carb off of it......Oh, wait a minute!!!! So did anyone read my post awhile back about me beating a raptor cuz of that? My only regret was that it wasn't summer so that some dirt could get sucked through the carb boot. I also hate it when my oversized, low-slung swing-arm guard gets snubbed up and all the other yamahuhs go around while I'm stuck.....Oh, wait another minute!!!!! Actaully, I hate it when my TBlazer kicks up rocks from the front tires and takes out a below-the-front-fender-headlight. Or even worse when the rear tire puts a rock through the coolant resevoir.....Oh,...... See, everyone will pick apart something that belongs to someone else, regardless. So feel free to insult me and my Polaris from behind the invincable shield of your computer screen. I could really care less.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, mellow out. I'm surprised you can hold on to all that power of your yamaha blaster. Sorry, did mean to blast you, I also started on a blaster. Fun bike, just to small frame for me.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

yellow01scram500 you're a shooter. You need to know what you are talking about.

I owned a Scram 400 for 2 years. An Explorer 400, LT250R, and now own a 400EX, Raptor and YZ426. I ride with people who have Sportsmans, Banshees, TRX250rs, Warriors, 300EXs. And I have ridden them all.

First, the Raptor has a brake light. (Sheesh, open your mouth with something accurate.)

Second. You don't have 'TRUE 4 wheel drive', you have 'On Demand All Wheel Drive'. You can spin all 4 wheels at the same time with no differential. Which is excellent in the mud and snow, but terrible in the rocks. Talk to any true rock rider, and they will tell you you must have a locker or one of the Suzuki transmissions which lock all the wheels in all the time. This allows you to *slowly* navigate rocks. The Polaris system doesn't allow you to do that. It only engages when the rear wheels spin faster than the fronts. Not to mention that even if the Scrambler had engine braking, the front drive system would be disengaged and wouldn't allow braking through the front wheels. This is where the lockers and Suzuki's shine.

Third. In my opinion you cannot compare the Scrambler to the Raptor when it comes to 'sport riding'. Tracks, Dunes, Jumps, or Trails. A mud filled trail the Scram really shines, but once you hit any type of hard surface, the Raptor has it beat. The suspension, power, nimbleness can't compare. 300EX's will beat it in the tight trails I ride.

Fourth. Automatic Tranny. It is good in a drag race. It is good in the mud (You can go from 0-60MPH wheel spin without shifting. Beats a Suzuki in the mud hole for that reason.). And it is very competitive in pulling a load. But it doesn't do well in a sport application (other than drag). There is a delay in getting power to the ground which you don't have on a manual. You can skip the bump or hole much quicker on a manual tranny. You can improve this on a polaris with a roller clutch. You might even get some compression braking.

Fifth: Weight. It is way too heavy. You should try to rip around on a TRX250R and see what a lightweight sport machine is like. The 400ex is the best handling quad of all time. The Raptor is 25lbs heavier, but in my opinion, it is very close to which machine has the best suspension. It still is more than 100lbs lighter than the Scram.

Sixth: Reliability. I spent more money on parts, and more time at the dealer with my Scram and Explorer, than I have with all my other machines combined EVER. Polaris is a risk taker, and they use cool technologies. They push the market. But they don't have the reliability down like the Hondas. The Yamaha's in my experience are also top notch.

Scramdaddy: You can't say the LT has a good bottom power compared to a Raptor. That's nonsense. Ride 'em both and then say that. Just because the rider can't make it up the hill doesn't mean someone else can't. Jeez. Must be the machine.

So, take the Scramblers and call it like it is. They are great in the mud or snow. Hands down, no question, they are awesome in that environment. However, the weight of them is the single biggest drawback to getting them competitive with a sport machine like a 400EX, Raptor, or Banshee in sport riding conditions.

They are an interesting blend of sport and 4 wheel drive, which for most owners is exactly what they bought them for, not as a sport machine. My brother still has his 99 400EX and he loves it for it use. But he acknowledged before he bought it, that it wouldn't be a 'rippper' like the TRX 250R.

Just call it like it is.

RM