Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who is using wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is using wheel spacers?

The understeer is probably more a result of softer shocks as a result of the extra leverage the wheels now have. The actually angle the wheels turn doesn't change.

Another thing is if you run spacers, the outside front wheel in a turn has to actually move forward as the spindle is turned. And the inside front wheel moves back. This will make it harder to turn since more weight is on the wheel moving forward.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

The idea is to make the quad less tippy in the corners. If you have ever been in a full blown power slide and suddenly caught traction sending you for some up close dirt action then widening your ride may help. Spacers are a good way to go for the money but have a few down falls. On thing you need to keep in mind is that the closer your with gets to your length the less the quad will track in a straight line. Most quads can be widened quite a bit before you have to worry about this. Just remember keep the wheelbase a rectangle not a square!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer

The idea with the fork lift is a good observation but a quad does have independent suspension in the front. Seems to me that widening the back actually helps stability a bit mare.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

"If you have ever been in a full blown power slide and suddenly caught traction sending you for some up close dirt action then widening your ride may help."

I think a better profile tire with less aggressive tread would help more in that situation than 1.5 inches of extra width. I've gone 6.5 inches wider in the front and 3 inches in the back and I still come up on 1 wheel sometimes when a donut goes crazy. I have 23 inch tires in the front and 22's in the back. My buddy has a similar quad (minus the extra width) with 20's in the back with substantial tread wear and he couldn't flip if he had 50lb weights attached to a pole 10ft above his quad!

Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: bigjomx

The idea with the fork lift is a good observation but a quad does have independent suspension in the front. Seems to me that widening the back actually helps stability a bit mare.</end quote></div>

From my current experiment, it does only when sliding. When just turning, my extra 3 inches in the rear did nothing it seems. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>It's just it is so damn expensive..

Thats why i just flip the wheels...strongest way to go...you just have to plug the valve stem hole and drill another on the other side if the stem will hit something going around..some quads it is clear..on a warrior it's not...(i weld up the holes);-) </end quote></div>

For some reason I missed this alternative. Shoot, I did this last week by accident. Put one wheel on backward and was trying the check the air pressure. WTF- where in the hell is the valve? Oh, it's on the inside? That's weired. Oh you dumbass, it's on backward.

I didn't spin it around, actually it was the rear. I think I will measure out doing this on the fronts. It seems like the stems are not going to hit anything going around.

Thanks for the affordable tip!

Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I did the same thing, only I can't weld aluminum. Steel is no problem, but... Anyway, I plugged the hole with a bolt and some jb weld. Works great! Be a yr in march with no leaks.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

re:"With spacers on the front usually you will understeer because it increases the turning radius of the quad."

LOL

Old 11-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

STRAIGHTUPDAHILL, that is a quote and not a statement, right? I know I'm not the brightest bulb, but I don't see how the radius increases... the wheels still turn to the same angle. Anyway, if it does, I haven't noticed it...

Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I do get some "bump steer" with mine but I really think bump steer would happen weather I widened her up or not. I think the handle bars have been ripped out of my hands before when the bike was stock, also after when I just changed the rims and tires, since I did that before I put the spacers on and after the spacers were installed. It's a result of ridin' hard eh?! I've always just lived with it, never really thought it would've been a result of widenin' the bike.

I put the 1.5" kit on because I was tired of always fallin' in the ruts of the bigger bore bikes I ride with, 700cc etc. Plus, what's the point of keepin' your bike stock? They make all these add ons for a reason so why not buy 'em? If I didn't spend the money my wife would've just bought more shoes and purses... most of you know where I commin' from. Also it does look pretty mean.

Quick Reply: Who is using wheel spacers?