Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wont be buying another yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wont be buying another yamaha

tymann09, congrats on being able to purchase your own atv at that age! Good job! Like others have stated above, it sounds like your dealer didn't do the prep work he should of initially. However, I will say that any machine you ride off road is going to require periodic maintenance. Part of that maintenance is making sure all the nuts/bolts are torqued to spec from time to time. Between my brother and myself, we have owned many different bikes and quads from all the major manufacturers. Every single one of these I have ever owned/worked on had loose bolts from time to time, and sometimes even parts that had fallen off or caused damage!! From your pics, it looks like you ride and work that Yamaha hard. I hope you get her straightened out so that it can give you many years if good service.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ptl

Yamaha's track record is a lot better than what you are going through.

Find a new dealer! Really, finding a good dealer makes all the difference.</end quote></div>
X2

The service people at a dealership can make or break it. Anyone can sell new ATV's but it's their dedication to service and customer satisfaction that sets them apart. The need to have guys that are competent.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Well... good luck on your next quad... I've had similar issues with other brands... Of course, those were all actual engine/carb/tranny issues that would re-occur and not the simple loose nuts or bolts... Seems like a pretty simple task to give to the dealership. (locktite) Tighten them ALL... then have them put down on paper that they did it...

Or trade it in... buy something new... Be happy because all of the nuts and bolts are on it... but be disappointed when it doesn't perform like your grizzly...

Decisions made in anger usually suck... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

The oil seal problem you have was the last straw on me getting rid of my previous Kodiak 450. I loved the ride of the machine and the power was good enough but my bearings went frequently and the last day I owned it I opened my shed to find all the front diff fluid on the floor due to the seal going bad. Now this happened all in a one week period. There wasn't any show of fluid before. After talking to my local service dept they said seals were becoming a problem on Yamahas.
Now, that being said, I agree with one of the above posts...it happens on all brands. Your lucky Yamaha even said they'd help. Most manufacturers won't.
Buck

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

thank you all for your replies. i have looked into a possible trade at another dealer, they would offer me only 4200, which isnt even enough to buy a new rancher 420. so i do think i will stick to this quad, oh and one other thing, some of the bolts wernt just loose, they were missing! it was missing 2 holding the front fender to the rack and 3 on the skidplate. since the warranty is up i just hope that nothing majorly goes wrong. but i too enjoy working on my quad, but not when it wasnt my fault. i do have some plans for modding this quad, but i need some money first. i just hope i get it back from the dealer before the snow starts, thats how i plow my driveway. like i had said before, i think the grizzly 450 is a fine machine, i love it, i just think the quality is poor on this particular one. also, if i didnt have bad luck with this quad, somebody else would of

Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

A good dealer goes over and inspects the parts and bolts. When I got mine they went over everything. They hooked mine up the the machine to make sure it was running fine. The dealer i went to had a 99.7 Dealer rating. Look at the ratings of your dealer. You paid 6200 for the Griz 450, my 700 griz was 6700 before all the addon's and taxes.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

id advise a better mechanic my banshee lost a few bolts from high rpms and hitting bumps stuff started falling off tighten everything on your quad to be safe or use thread lock on the bolts

Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

all else fails drop it from a helicopter onto the showroom roof

Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Make sure to bring a rope and harness to retrieve the cash register! j/k

Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

Thats pretty rare, i think Yamaha makes good machines, at least with my experience, I'm a fan of the banshee myself, but anyways, that sounds like bad karma, did you do something bad in a past life? because honestly, Yamaha is known for having very good quality control, its either karma or your dealer, i think

Quick Reply: wont be buying another yamaha