Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'07 Grizzly 350 single axle impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Grizzly 350 single axle impressions

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but have been using four wheelers for many years. I am unable to find and feedback, reviews good or bad on the Yamaha Grizzly 350 auto 4X4 with the single axle. If you own one chime in.

We predominately use 4 wheelers for hunting, fishing, and trail riding and farm work. We are not X games riders using them for jumping, racing, and generally looking for trouble. My take on quads is they are a tool just like a chain saw or a tractor. Each tool has its uses and I find quads handy as heck.

I purchased the Grizzly for my son. I still enjoy the power of my Polaris Sportsman 400 2 stroke, which has served me well in the woods for a long time. It fouls a few plugs and that's the only real beef I have with the Polaris. Oh yeah, the brakes on the Polaris aren't so good either. I'm 43 so I know my machine and its limitations and my own riding skills.

My first impressions of the Grizzly 350:

Bad: Wow! Where's the power people? The transmission seems to hold the machine back or something. It is much louder than my other yammy also. It will be probably be a real safe machine for my son as the machine seems to have a built in engine brake when one lets off the gas.

Good: It rides and handles smoothly enough, but I was disappointed in the lack of accelaration. The braking is excellent and beats the heck out of my Polaris. I also own and operate a Yamaha 250 Bruin straight geared and it has lots of punch and is very fun to operate. I have my doubts that my son is going to have as much fun on this 350. I have yet to put the Grizzly through the rigors of what I ordinarily use a quad for, because this is a gift to my son for his 16th birthday in January. I got a really good deal on it and now I'm wondering if the deal was so good because the machine is not a desirable quad.

I was told to stay away from the '08 450 Grizzly so I opted to drop back to the '07 model Grizzly 350 because the price points were right for my budget. They threw in a 2500# Warn winch and a 2 year warranty.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Bad: Wow! Where's the power people? </end quote></div>

I had a 350 Big Bear (5 speed with low range) with the same engine and it had no power also, 40 mph tops. In low range it could pull a house but the new 350,s have no low range option for cost cutting reasons.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks TLC

My Polaris Sportsman 400 is chain drive and this Grizzly is belt drive I think so there is a lot of difference felt by me as the rider. It's for my son so I'm not going to stress over it. He will not recognize the subtle differences I notice.

If my dad had given me a 4 wheeler at 16 I would have croaked right there on the spot. I'm sure we'll get a lot of use out of the Grizzly and I will report back on it after several months of hard usage to give you guys a run down as it seems nobody owns one of these rare birds.