Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear fellow Yamaha owners: Is the Toyota Tundra a girls truck, (according to my secretary) or should I stick with my Ford Superduty F250? Thanks for you opinions!!!

Old 01-10-2001, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

i sold cars for years i dont sell i quit a few months ago to go back to finish my college degree. the tundra is bar far the best driving fullsize truck on the road and in a drag race it will out run any full size truck on the market with its standard 4.7 litre auto v8. the same engine in the landcruiser and the lexus lx 470

Old 01-10-2001, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

The um, gender, of the driver appears in question, rwalker, not of the truck.

Sufficiently certain of your, uh, identity, you can confidently drive ANYTHING. (Well, maybe not a Saab.)

Secure in your own, say, person, who cares what your secretary thinks?

Diogenes

Old 01-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Is you rsecretary nice? Then get a Tundra and invite for a girl truck ride!!
Seriously, the Tundra is better. period. Better engine, as performing as american big bores, but low fuel consumption (and lower emissions, if that's a matter to you). Better finish, things won't squirl, dashboard won't move around...go for a hardore offroad ride...they won't be able to follow you.
Default of the Tundra?? uuh 95% size?

Old 01-10-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I see you've studied the poet, e.e. cummings, in your literature course so far, WhittD! Best wishes in your academic career.

Diogenes

Old 01-10-2001, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

I have a friend with a 2001 Tundra and another with a 2000 chev. The tundra has the black bumpers and personally I think that it is far from being a girls truck! I did ride in them back to back the other day and the Tundra was quieter but it does have alot less miles on it. I haven't driven them enough to be able to pick one over the other. Just some of my experience.

Adam

Old 01-11-2001, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

The Tundra is the quietest, best driving fullsize you will find.

It also has that Toyota refinement. Things that the other truck makers still haven't figured out like how to correctly shift an automatic tranny (a big personal pet peeve of mine) are perfect. It baffles me how after decades of building auto tranny's that the American car makers can still produce trannys that always seem to be in the wrong gear, hunt in the hills, and fail regularly.

Anyway.... The only downside I can see to the Tundra is it's extended cab isn't quite as big as a Chevrolet, but is as big as the Ford.

Stuff that's better.... The transmission, the engine, the handling, the quality of construction, the "tightness" of the whole truck, the sound deadening, placement of controls, looks (subjective), and you can be sure that it will most likely provide many years of service before anything goes wrong (just like any other Toyota product)

Personally, I still drive my GMC pickup, but that's only because it's paid for (:

Old 01-12-2001, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

I have to disagree with you guys on some of the things you guys are saying about the Tundra.

It is no where near the size of a Ford or a Chevy for cab size.

The fuel economy is really not great on them. I know this because I went to pick up my Raptor in Montana in a 2WD Tundra. Some segments of the trip I got 12mpg the best I got was 15mpg. The 5.3L Silverado is actually the best for fuel economy of all the 1/2 ton full size trucks.

The Tundra I was in had about 20000 miles on it and it and the shift qulity was really starting to deteriorate.

One Pet Peeve I have is that the Tundra towing package doesn't even give you the wiring for electric trailer brakes. You have to rune the wiring yourself. I guess they don't expect you to pull trailers with it.

It does do a 1/4 mile quicker than a Silverado(not by much) but who really Drag races their trucks??? What you need is torque for hauling and trailer towing. THe Tundra makes up for its lack of low rpm torque by using a 4.1 Axle ratio compared to Chevy's 3.73.

For these reason's I can kinda agree with the secretary on this one.

Sorry for the rant but it's what I do for a living.

Old 01-12-2001, 07:07 AM
jdm
Trailblazer

Don't buy this toyota is the greatest stuff. All vehicles are quality these days. I bought into the line that toyota was the greatest and bought my wife a new 4runner in 99. I paid way more than a blazer or explorer but thought i was getting all this great stuff that toyota supposedly is. I kept it about a year and got rid of it. I have never had such a piece in my life. It stayed in the shop constantly. I will never buy another toyota in my life. I know all makers make lemons, but toyota customer service gave me no help in trying to resolve my many problems

Old 01-12-2001, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just my two cents. I have a 2001 Raptor. I bought it for the same reason I bought my 2000 Tundra.I have always bought American Cars, and Quads. I feel the quality has dropped off the past few years. My experience has been neither Ford, or Polaris has wanted to here about any problems.As a result I have been making repairs long before expected. I dont know what the long term reliability will be with either, but i love them both. My Tundra has the dohc 4.7 with 3.90 gearing. Around town mpg 17 after breakin. hywy 19, with less in the winter. The tundra is a small truck with a big Attitude. It was not designed as a 1 ton work horse. Toyota is working on a 3/4, and one ton version that will be 12" longer than the Tundra. They are currently testing a V10, and are in the design process of a v12. I got this information from my Toyota Dealer. My thought is, If I won 20 million dollars tomorrow, I would still drive my Tundra.Only I would have 2 or 3 of them.

Quick Reply: Tundra