Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ still 450 king?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ still 450 king?

i read a 450 shootout on the YFZ, LTR, and TRX the LTR beat both of them in everything but woods and the YFZ's power down-low and the YFZ's starter but other then that the LTR beat them all in throttle response (somthings tellin me it was the EFI)the power came on smoother. it flew in the air better.and the 2008 has more power then the 2007 and below....also and the shocks got revised to for 08.
the YFZ and TRX are outdated the only stand out feature the yamaha has is its 5 valve engine
LTR has efi. wider and lower stance
can-am has a no-weld frame and EFI
KTM has adjustable camber and caster.built in teather. maxxis razer tires adjustable rear axle
MXR has fox podium shox a KTM engine i think razers to im not sure
KFX has EFI and thats it but all ive heard about kawi was bad (no power down low. rock hard seat. bad vibration)

Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>KFX has EFI and thats it but all ive heard about kawi was bad (no power down low</end quote></div>

See what I mean,yet that exact same engine is the power king in the 450 Motocross , Kawasaki adds efi on the sport ATV version and it looses power.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Of course, like most things yamaha... they're on top a lot because they come out with everything first... (I know not everything, but bear with me) Then everyone else engineers their bikes specifically to out-perform yamaha... The yfz isn't the king anymore, but it's still fully capable of whipping the competition with the right rider... When yami comes out with the re-designed yfz... I'm sure it'll be on top again until someone else copies it...

Anyone notice that besides the trx450r, that most of the other 450s look VERY similar to the yfz???

Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BOMBSAINT

pretty sure that the ds450 is the lightest and has the best power to weight ratio.......... now i know that everyone on here will say otherwise but thats just the way it is. now saying its a better quad than the yfz ( even though it is) but definately better power to weight ratio</end quote></div>

No, the ds is not the lightest. Can-am even admitted so at the release on their website.

And since it weighs less and makes less power the Can-am ds450 cannot have a better power to weight ratio than the yfz.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Range Rover

i'd take a yfz over any of the others =)

Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maddog56

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BOMBSAINT

pretty sure that the ds450 is the lightest and has the best power to weight ratio.......... now i know that everyone on here will say otherwise but thats just the way it is. now saying its a better quad than the yfz ( even though it is) but definately better power to weight ratio</end quote></div>

No, the ds is not the lightest. Can-am even admitted so at the release on their website.

And since it weighs less and makes less power the Can-am ds450 cannot have a better power to weight ratio than the yfz.</end quote></div>

Care to post some links? From what I understand the DS450 has more power than any other 450 regardless of weight...AND is the lightest 450 out. I just saw some actual ready to ride weights from an owner and it's LIGHT.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

oh my lazy... Why don't you guys just GO to the website and check before writing it down...

Can-Am states the 450 is 345lbs Dry... That puts it 5lbs lighter than the yfz...

Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The KTM is supposed to be lightest by a smidge, and has the most power stock(but it also has arguably the freest flowing intake/exhaust combo too) The DS is close but not quite there and the Yammie is 3rd for power to weight in ready to run status if you are to believe ATV Sport. Personally, they are all close enough to pick your fav color and go roost. The new Zuk is fast but some trail riders/xc guys are going to have a tougher time with the width.

I have an '05 YFZ too, and while I would love a new KTM, the ole Yammie is tried, true, and plenty for what I need it to do. I certainly don't see anything out there that that would warrant selling this and starting over. There should be some big changes for the YFZ in the '09 model year, so if you want to stay blue wait another 8 or 9 months.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hebs

oh my lazy... Why don't you guys just GO to the website and check before writing it down...

Can-Am states the 450 is 345lbs Dry... That puts it 5lbs lighter than the yfz...</end quote></div>

At lauch it was just shy of 360 pounds and they showed a hp curve that included the kawi, suzuki and honda but omitted the yfz.

Looks like it lost some weight in production.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maddog56

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hebs

Can-Am states the 450 is 345lbs Dry... That puts it 5lbs lighter than the yfz...</end quote></div>

At lauch it was just shy of 360 pounds and they showed a hp curve that included the kawi, suzuki and honda but omitted the yfz.

Looks like it lost some weight in production.</end quote></div>

even still it's heavier, maybe that's why the power:weight ratio was messed up...

regardless, hebs i opened another browser right before i read your post..i was thinking the same EXACT thing, they have the specs online, haha

Quick Reply: YFZ still 450 king?